MySQL: Become A MySQL Admin
- 8.5 hours on-demand video
- 1 downloadable resource
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Handle MySQL user management
- Set up and operate MySQL replication, including moving to GTID based replication
- Hands on experience of operations carried out on MySQL instances, running sysbench against them, and producing a workload
- Perform administration and performance-tuning tasks
- Master the new querying features in MySQL 8
- Access databases with PHP, Python, or Java
This video describes MySQL configuration file structure: my.cnf.
- Learn about MySQL variables
- Learn about my.cnf structure and includes
- Configure MySQL in the lab
When working with MySQL, you should quickly be able to locate a problem within the MySQL software. This video will give you an overview on how MySQL is built and what components there are.
- Get an overview over the MySQL architecture
- Visit the components of the database
- Learn about the InnoDB storage engine
In this video, we will upgrade an existing database to the latest version of MySQL, for that, you need to perform a few steps. This video will show you what these steps are and how you can upgrade successfully.
- Preparation for upgrades
- Performing the upgrade
- Post-upgrade tasks
Access your database using different tools provided by MySQL. We will explore both tools for the command-line and tools with a graphical user interface.
- See the usage of the MySQL command-line
- Explore and develop scripts with MySQL Workbench
- Get to know third-party tools to access your database
Configuring a database is one of the typical tasks that a database administrator has to perform. Learn how you can see how your database is configured and how you can change the configuration.
- Display the current configuration of your database
- Learn how the configuration is saved in MySQL
- Change the most important variables
The data dictionary is a big new feature in MySQL 8. This video shows you some of the new views and how you can use the new feature to get more information about your database.
- Learn about the new data dictionary in MySQL 8
- Find out about data dictionary views
- See examples of data dictionary queries
When operating a database, you will certainly encounter some problems. This video helps you to perform basic troubleshooting on your database and find common problems.
- Learn about the MySQL Error Log
- Troubleshoot connection problems
- Learn how you can reset the root password
Because the data in your database is often important, we need to make sure your data stays safe. This video talks about security issues and how you can secure your database.
- Be informed about general security issues
- See how users and privileges can be used
- Learn about SQL injections attacks and to avoid them
Keeping your data safe from data corruption and hardware failures is an important task when running a database. This video will show you simple ways to backup and recovery your data.
- Understand why database backups are important
- Perform database backup
- Perform database recovery
For your application, it is important that the data returned from the database is returned as quickly as possible. This video explains how you can improve the performance of your query by using Query Execution Plans.
- Understand SQL and the MySQL Optimizer
- Learn about Query Execution Plans
- Improve performance of your database by configuring the right variables
MySQL 8 brings a few new features for developers to make querying the database easier. This video shows you what new features there are and takes a closer look at Common Table Expressions.
- Learn about new querying features in MySQL 8
- Learn how the Optimizer has gotten better
- Have a closer look at Common Table Expressions
Managing big tables with a lot of rows is no easy task. Thankfully, with MySQL 8, there are new features to manage partitions. We will also see the different available partitioning types.
- Understand what partitioning is
- Explore the different partitioning types
- See the new features of MySQL 8 for partitioning
On the web, PHP is one of the most popular languages. So for building your web application, you can use different modules to access a database backend. In this video, we will learn about the mysqli module and how we can use this module to access the database. This video also includes PHP example code.
- Learn about different PHP modules for database access
- Understand the main mysqli methods
- See example PHP code
When working with PHP and objects, a database abstraction layer can help you to write easier code. In this video, we will learn about using PDO and how we can access the database using the PDO methods.
- Understand the advantages of a database abstraction layer
- Leverage the object-oriented methods of PDO
- See example PHP code
Writing code in Python is very easy. This video shows you how you can also easily access a MySQL database using the MySQLdb Python module. This video also includes Python example code.
- Learn about the different Python modules
- Explore the MySQLdb module methods
- See an example Python script
Java is one of the most common programming languages today. Accessing the database in Java always uses a JDBC driver. This video will show you how JDBC works and what methods you can use to access the database. Also, this video contains example code for accessing the database with Java.
- Learn about JDBC
- Find out about the JDBC methods
- See Java example code
- Basic understanding of database concepts is all you need
MySQL is the most popular and widely used relational databases in the World today.
The main purpose of this comprehensive course is to assist you on setting up MySQL 8 and running with replication, learn about database administration topics like backups, replication, monitoring, and point in time recovery, switchovers, user management and version upgrades. It is packed with step-by-step instructions and working examples to solve any problem you might come across in MySQL querying and administration
Contents and Overview
This training program includes 2 complete courses, carefully chosen to give you the most comprehensive training possible.
The first course, MySQL 8 for Administrators, covers the differences between various MySQL versions. It starts off with the basics: Installing MySQL and creating users. After that, we will get sysbench up and running. Sysbench, responsible for issuing queries against databases, is the de-facto benchmarking tool for MySQL. With that hands-on lab environment at hand, we will learn about various database administration topics like backups, replication, monitoring, and point in time recovery, switchovers, user management and version upgrades.
The second course, MySQL 8 Recipes, contains practical recipes on efficient MySQL administration, with tips on effective user management, security, database monitoring, troubleshooting, and more. Supplying quick solutions to common problems you might encounter while working with MySQL, the tutorial contains practical tips and tricks to give you the edge over others while designing, developing, and administering your MySQL solution.
By the end of this training program, you will be well versed with high-performance querying and database administration using MySQL.
About the Authors
Peter Boros has more than 10 years of MySQL administration experience. Peter has also taught Oracle University courses about MySQL across EMEA, later he was a Principal Architect at Percona, a company specializing in MySQL consulting. Apart from this, he has worked with a few of the world’s largest MySQL deployments, belonging to prestigious web properties. This course is a product of Peter’s immense work experience and his expertise on the subject.
Simon Krenger is a Database Engineer for the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) in Bern, Switzerland. He has worked with a wide variety of technologies, including Oracle databases (OCP), Linux, and automation software. He focuses on Information Security and has gained experience with common agile software development practices.
- New and returning MySQL DBAs, who are just getting to know MySQL, or who knew earlier versions and are curious about the latest administration differences in MySQL 8