My Favorite Things- Fun and Easy Writing Course for kids
What you'll learn
- Even the tiniest of hands can learn to write full paragraphs, even if he or she can currently only write simple sentences.
- Students will learn to write paragraphs using "First," "Next," and "Finally."
- Students will connect to learning as fun! (Isn't that what it's all about anyway?) This is how life long learners are created!
- Students will begin to craft their ideas in ways that allow them to express themselves clearly. This writing technique can also be applied to your native language, if it isn't English.
- Have an open mind! As an innovative instructor and curriculum designer in South Korea, I've come to know that we often limit our children based on what we believe they are capable of. I've taught this course to children as young as 4 years old, who were then able to write full paragraphs about philosophy independently within 6 months of taking this course. I've also taught this same course to 13 year olds who needed a solid foundation for organizing their ideas when putting more than one sentence together. The student should have the ability to write a sentence independently before taking things course. It can be a simple sentence, such as "I like ___________ because __________." That's it!
“My favorite things” is far from your average writing course! It’s a digital course that includes cartoon animations and teaches young learners to craft paragraphs about things that they like. The instructor, Gahmya Drummond-Bey, has taught this course live for over five years in South Korea. The same curriculum can be used for students as young as five and as old as nine because it teaches the foundation of paragraph writing. In fact, it’s so simple, yet results producing, that many parents have admitted using it to study themselves. This course is especially useful for children who are learning English as their second language.
Tip: When using this course, be sure to encourage your child to interact with the teacher. Stand up. Answer the questions. Read your paragraph aloud. Talk to the screen. Enjoy the experience. High-five your child and offer lots of praise for being active.
COURSE DESCRIPTION (for kids):
Hello! “Welcome to Writing Class!” I’m your teacher, Gahmya! You can call me, “Gahmya Teacher!” I’m so excited to teach you how to write well because writing is so much fun! Okay, if you think writing is boring, let’s try it together! Do you know that some of the smartest people in the world exercise their brains by writing? It’s true! Scientists, Doctors, Teachers, Fashion Designers, and even Singers write their ideas in books or magazines so that their ideas can live forever! That’s the great thing about writing. If you learn to write well, you can write your ideas and stories. Then, people can read them forever! That’s so amazing!
So, come on! Let’s learn to write about some of our favorite things together! Let’s go!
Who this course is for:
- This course is great for kids who love writing and for those who are not interested in writing at all! The cartoons and animations keep them interested and reintroduce them to writing that focuses on things that they enjoy! This course is great for all kids 4-8. If you have a child who is between the ages of 8-13 and are really struggling with the foundations of writing a sentence. You may have them also review the course and go through the workbook. Oftentimes older children struggle with writing because they have never been taught the basics.
Gahmya Drummond-Bey is a two time TEDx speaker, global education curriculum designer, visionary educator, and enthusiast for all things love and literacy. She has traveled the world for 11 years, transforming learning spaces, and empowering educators and community leaders in villages and communities. She is known for creating innovative curriculum that has resulted in children as young as 5 years old writing their own books and even essays about topics ranging from philosophy to art history. Gahmya has a way of empowering children with a love of writing.
Often referred to as "The Steve Jobs of Education," Gahmya has designed programs for learning centers in Mongolia, Thailand, Turkey, Japan, Florida(USA), Barcelona, India, and South Korea. . Gahmya is passionate about bringing quality education to children around the world.