Mutual Fund Investments for Retail Investors
- 1 hour on-demand video
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Be able to understand the mutual fund structure, types and investment options.
- Choose the right mutual fund scheme to meet specific investment goal. Understand the Capital Gains Tax applicability for gains from Mutual Fund Investments.
- Make use of Direct Plan option to avoid distribution charges and hence earn better return on investment
- Be able to decide on using the right fund scheme such as FoF, Index Fund, Sectoral, Equity, Debt, Money Market fund, etc
- A high level understanding of Capital Markets and some of the financial products such equity stocks, bank deposits, is assumed.
Mutual Fund Investment is one of the best options for retail investors, looking to invest in capital markets. But are you confused about the sheer number of schemes to choose from? Does Index fund suit your needs or you are better off with debt/income fund? Should you go with SIP or lump sum?
In this course, we explain various aspects Mutual Funds - from it structure and type to investment approach and tax implications. The course is designed to prepare you select the right scheme to suit your investment goal, improve return by investing directly with AMC, choose the tax efficient equity oriented schemes as well as take the right approach to investing - SIP, STP or lump sum - depending on your individual circumstances. Approx 30-40 minutes spent on this course would help you throughout your life.
- This course is intended for Retail Investors - especially salaried individuals, students of finance, investment and tax advisers
- Anyone who wants to understand the benefits of investing through mutual funds.
With over 2000 primary mutual fund schemes across 40 odd Mutual Funds, investors can find a scheme suitable for every investment goal they have in mind. In order to select the right scheme, one needs to know the structure of mutual funds, various types of mutual funds, investment options and come to terms with industry jargons like SIP, SWP, NAV, Direct Plan, ETF, etc in the context of mutual fund investment.
This introductory lecture sets the tone for upcoming lectures and explains what to expect in this course and how it useful it would be to you.
Investors usually focus on returns from investment and ignore some important aspects like liquidity, divisibility, ease of transaction, which are equally important. Mutual Fund investments offer a lot of benefits from liquidity and divisibility to professional management and diversification. On an average, it is good investment choice for retail investors. Lets understand the characteristics , pros and cons in this lecture.
It is very important to understand the Mutual Fund scheme types and choose the right one for your goals. I will explain the how the mutual fund schemes types are arrived at based on key parameters like flexibility to invest, asset types the schem holds, asset maturity, etc. Also the variants of each of these scheme types based on dividend distribution, purchase method. I have also added a quiz and provided some reference websites for you to browse through.
Approach to investment is almost as important as choosing the right mutual fund scheme. While SIP works well for long term corpus building, at times it is necessary to start with lumpsum in one scheme and systematically transfer to another scheme in order to minimize risk and maximize returns. We will look at various approaches in this lecture.
Did you know that there is ZERO tax on capital gains from equity oriented mutual funds, if held fro more than 365 days, while it is 15% if the holding period is less than a year. Understand the tax implications and plan your investment/redemption to optimise tax outgo.