The Music Publicity Insider's Guide
- 36 mins on-demand video
- 2 hours on-demand audio
- 11 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- By the end of this course, you will be able to take your unique musical identity and craft it into an idea the media will love
- You will understand what life is like from a journalist's perspective and use that knowledge to serve their real needs and get more press as a result
- You will impress your friends and business connections with the wave of free media exposure that seems to effortlessly come your way
- The ability to use a computer, play MP3 and video files, and print PDF worksheet
- An eagerness to learn a fresh way to pursue media exposure for your music
Learn How to Craft News Hooks and Story Ideas That Land You Mega Media Exposure!
To really get the media exposure you deserve, you must get inside the heads of journalists, bloggers, and music reviewers. You need to understand life from their perspective and what gets their attention (as well as what ticks them off).
Only then can you craft the news hooks and story ideas that will lead to mega exposure for your music.
Here’s what you get inside this course:
Lesson 1 — Your Expanded Definition of Journalism and the Media. We start with an important overview of what media and publicity are, and how the landscape has vastly changed in recent years.
Lesson 2 — An Insider’s View of the Music Media. Here I reveal what I learned during my 10 years running a music magazine. These are the crucial perspectives most self-promoters completely miss. Once you know what matters most to journalists, you’ll get a LOT more press.
Lesson 3 — The Power of PR Headlines and Subheads. In this lesson we take a deep dive into “news hooks” and “story ideas.” I critique several press release headlines to show you how to distill the essence of your pitch into as few words as possible.
Lesson 4 — The “Indirect Method” of Media Exposure. Very few “experts” teach this method of getting publicity, especially in the music world. If you truly put this untapped technique into action, you would double or triple your media exposure.
Lesson 5 — Twelve Questions to Help You Uncover Stellar News Hooks. Sometimes artists are too close to themselves to see all the media-friendly aspects of their lives and careers. Use these 12 simple worksheet questions to uncover the hidden gold in your story.
The bulk of the course is delivered via audio lessons with accompanying worksheets.
- Self-promoting, independent musicians
- Aspiring music publicists
- Established music PR pros
Please watch this short welcome video. It will help you get the most out of Lesson 1.
Please watch this important video. You'll find links to videos on how to navigate a Udemy course in the Supplemental Materials section of this page.
Please watch this welcome video. It will help you get the most out of Lesson 3.
Listen to the audio as you take notes on the Lesson 3 worksheet, which you can download from the Supplementary Material section of this lecture. You can also download a PDF transcription of this lesson there as well.
NOTE: About halfway through this audio, a different microphone setting kicks in and I suddenly sound a lot better. Luckily, the rest of the lessons will have this higher quality sound. Hooray! :)
Please watch this welcome video. It will help you get the most out of Lesson 5.
You can read a text version of this video at