Music, Instruments, and Science
What you'll learn
- Fun facts about music.
- Short quizzes (and answer key for parents)
- Extended "do at home" projects
- Using kitchen items to make music.
- No experience needed.
Of course there is the performing side of music, but how about the science...the science of sound.
In this course you're going to have fun!
- Learn about the science of sound
- Is there sound in outer space?
- Turn kitchenware into fun instruments and drive your parents crazy. Who knew that banging on pots and pans could be so musical - or so fun.
- Have you ever wanted to learn to read music? It's easier than you think. There's a lesson where we study musical notation and learn how to read music
- Make and beat your own drum
All brought to you by the crazy, musically talented Professor Jimmy and his brother Mr. Divine.
Professor Jimmy teaches at Southern Colorado University of Music (SCUM) a new music school between Pueblo, Colorado and Trinidad, Colorado. You can audition to be accepted today. You'll take courses like...
Orcastra - where we study the sounds of the great orca whale; what did he mean when he made that sound, was she happy with her response or was that a sign of disgust.
Banned from Band - Learn about historical figures who were kicked out of their band class as youngsters and what anguish and turmoil it caused them. Learn why nobody should ever be kicked out of their band class.
Who this course is for:
- Parents/Teachers of students in grades 4-9
There once was a little boy named Jimmy whose mom told him he could be anything he wanted…a policeman, a doctor, a lawyer, even the President of the United States. I exceeded all her expectations and became a music teacher!
I’m now a grown man with four kids (I married my high school sweetheart) and six grandkids. I love eating pizza, mountain biking, spending time with family, and long walks in the mountains holding hands (sorry, I reserve that for only one person, and it’s not you). My shoe size is 9.5 but please don’t send me any shoes…I’ll tell you more about that in a minute.
I teach middle school music at a Title I school, still finding time to speak, write, and podcast.
Now for the boring, adult stuff…
I earned a bachelor’s degree from St. Joseph’s College in Maine and received my music education from the Army School of Music. I served in the Army Band for 10 years in Virginia, Japan, and Colorado. I earned a teaching license from Western State University in Colorado and completed a master’s in music education at Southwestern Oklahoma State University. I believe in the value of life-long learning!
Member of the following:
Colorado Music Educator’s Association
American School Band Directors Association
Order of the Sons and Daughters of Italy.
My life-long goal continues to be to ACT MY SHOE SIZE, NOT MY AGE
- Adulting 101: 40+ skills every young adult and teen should know (coming soon)
- Music, Instruments, and Science
- Get Started Writing a Book
- 30 Days of Motivation
- 40 Ways to Make Money as a Musician
- Your Now Doesn't Define Your Future
- How To Make It In The Music Business Workshop
Books by James
I Cannoli Imagine: My Italian Life
Forgive: One man’s story of being molested…
40 Ways To Make Money As A Musician eBook
Go Ahead, Make My Day: 39 Ways To Make Someone’s Day eBook
A Stroke of Bad Luck
50 Cheap Dates - and Why You Should Take Them