MuseScore: Mastering Music Notation Free Software
- 2 hours on-demand video
- 3 articles
- 1 downloadable resource
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Students will be able to use the MuseScore program to write music.
- Students will be able to hear the music they've written played by a number of instruments (including full orchestra).
- Students will be able to save and publish their music either as sheet music or audio files.
- A computer (PC or Mac or Linux) that can run the MuseScore Application. MuseScore is a free application.
- Basic knowledge of music notation will be helpful, but is not required.
MuseScore is a music notation program that is powerful, open source, completely free, and runs on Windows, Mac, or Linux operating systems.
In this course I'll show you all of the ins-and-outs of using MuseScore for your own projects. I'll show you some of my own workflow techniques, as well as how other people do things. This is a fantastic program for learning to write music in any style, or just to help you learn the basics of music notation.
I've been working with MuseScore for a number of years now. I've worked with major American orchestras, film studios, and video game designers, so I've got more than a little experience in professional music notation. I'm also a PhD in music composition and a university professor (of music composition).
Recently I was named as a semi-finalist for the Grammy Foundation's Music Educator of the Year award because of my in-person university classes. Now I'm taking those classes to Udemy in an online format in order to reach more students, and give them the joy of Music Theory.
In the this course we will cover:
- The history of MuseScore
- How to get involved in the MuseScore Community
- Installation and Setup
- The Start Center
- Creating a new score
- Assigning playback instruments
- The MuseScore interface
- 3 methods of note input
- Using a MIDI keyboard with MuseScore
- Adding lyrics
- Adding text
- Guitar tablature
- Drum set notation
- Repeats and Endings
- Playing your score back
- Making parts
- Any much, much, more!
And of course, once you sign up for this class, all my other classes are yours at steep discounts! Over half off for all future sections!
You will not have another opportunity to learn MuseScore in a more comprehensive way than this. Start here.
Dr. Jason Allen is an Ableton Certified Trainer, and a PhD in Music Composition and master of Electronic Sounds. His music has been heard internationally in film, radio, video games, and industrial sound, as well as the concert hall and theater. His 2015 album, Aniscorcia, reaching the CMJ Top200 Charts and radio broadcasts nationwide. In 2014 he was named a semi-finalist for the Grammy Music Educator Award.
He currently as an adjunct professor of composition at the University of St. Thomas, and the CEO of Slam Academy in Minneapolis.
Praise for classes by Dr. Jason Allen:
- "Without a doubt the best explanation and east of use that one can get. It leaves you enough room to go explore. The classes go by quick, so you can be on your way at being proficient. What are you wait for!"
- "Amazing - Seriously Loved It! I took all his courses and have to say I'm so happy! Learnt loads! Jason is an awesome teacher!"
- "I have never had any formal training in music at all. Trying to learn all the notes and how everything translated was a serious challenge. After going through this class, Dr. J has totally brought down the barriers. The content was very useful and was easy to grasp for me."
- "I like these courses because you can get up and running quickly without having to spend hours of time wading through TMI (too much information!). Jason hits the high points but shows you what you need to know. Thanks!"
- "I've watched many other videos on scales and chords before, however, this one has been the best. I now understand minor scales and chords and even how to analyze songs. It really gave me the confidence to start producing music because I feel like I have some structure and guidelines to follow. AWESOME!"
- "Clear and Informative - Jason has a clear uncluttered style (with the important dashes of humor) of presentation that is focused on the important key aspects of this course. Recommended for those starting out!"
- "Dr. Allen does it again with his music theory series. This course really opened up everything I learned from the 1st section, and now I understand more about the composition side of things for music. I highly highly recommend this course to anyone!!! Really opened my eyes to many things I wasn't aware of."
- "The Best Teacher Ever, who makes you understand the ins & outs of Music Theory by all means without giving what you don't want to know."
- Anyone interested in learning how to use MuseScore, or any other music notation software program.
- People looking to be able to compose music in their computer using notes and samples.
- Anyone looking to expand their knowledge of music theory by using note-based playback systems.