MongoDB and Python: Quick start
- Basic experience with the Python programming language
Learn MongoDB with Python and mongoengine. In this short, free course, we will build an AirBnB knock-off using Python and MongoDB. You will learn enough to get up and running with MongoDB for your next project.
According the to 2017 StackOverflow developer survey, MongoDB is one of the most loved and is by far the most wanted databases of 2017. You will learn many of the skills necessary to build MongoDB backed applications.
We will primarily focus on accessing MongoDB from the ODM mongoengine. While you can use the lower-level pymongo package, you'll see that mongoengine adds powerful additional features not natively found in MongoDB such as required fields and default values.
You will learn
- How document databases work
- The benefits of NoSQL databases
- A clear set of guidelines for modeling data with document databases
- How to map Python classes into MongoDB collections
- The basic CRUD operations (create, read, update and delete) for MongoDB
- Complex queries (subdocuments, hierarchies, and more)
- How to convert hierarchies in documents into flat Python structures using list comprehensions
- Some Python tricks
- To use PyCharm as your IDE which writing code
The course is free and the example code is extensive and available on github. Don't wait to get started.
- Anyone who is looking to build amazing Python-based applications based on MongoDB.
- Hello and welcome to the course04:32
- Introduction to MongoDB03:15
- How do document databases work?02:45
- Who uses MongoDB?02:28
- Modeling in relational databases vs. modeling with documents03:27
- The 5 modeling guidelines05:40
- Integration DBs vs application DBs02:12
- Getting started with the application / demo code05:43
- How ODMs work02:48
- Introduction to mongoengine01:06
- Demo: Registering connections with MongoEngine03:18
- Concept: Registering connections01:53
- Demo: Defining mongoengine entities (classes)06:08
- Concept: mongoengine entities03:40
- Demo: Create a new account07:52
- Demo: Robo 3T for viewing and managing data01:22
- Demo: Login01:49
- Demo: Register a cage10:20
- Demo: Add a bookable time as a host05:44
- Demo: Managing your snakes as a guest03:05
- Demo: Book a cage as a guest14:22
- Demo: View your bookings as guest07:47
- Demo: View bookings as host04:48
- Concept: Inserting documents01:10
- Concept: Queries00:41
- Concept: Querying subdocuments with mongoengine01:27
- Concept: Query using operators00:47
- Concept: Updating via whole documents01:22
- Concept: Updating via in-place operators02:14
- You've done it!00:24
- Get the code00:57
- MongoDB in production?02:12
Michael is the founder and host of two popular Python podcasts: Talk Python To Me and Python Bytes. Here he speaks with and explores the topics broadly interesting to Python developers.
He has been a software developer for over 20 years and has taught over 100 week-long training courses to professional software development teams throughout the world.