Modal Verbs. A Practical Grammar Course
What you'll learn
- Find out why modals are called "auxiliary" verbs and why that matters
- Learn the degree of probability that each modal verb expresses
- See less known but common meanings of the modal verbs and learn how to express these in your everyday speech
- Practice using each modal verb with each of its meanings in practical exercises with examples from real life
- Understand the different ways to create past tense for modal verbs and the reason why it is difficult to do so correctly
- This course is designed for students of English as a second or foreign language
- You will need an intermediate level of English
- The material is designed for high school students and adults
- Be prepared to take some time during each lesson to complete the practice activities
This is a practical grammar course for intermediate students of English as a second or foreign language. You have already studied modal verbs such as "can", "may", "must", "have to". But you are still not sure that you can tell the difference between them or know when to use each one. You probably have a lot of questions at this point:
What does "modal" mean?
Do modal verbs have meaning?
What's the difference between "may" and "might"?
When do we use "must" and when--"should" or "have to"?
Do modals have past tense?
This course answers all of these questions simply and clearly. Each point is illustrated with multiple examples from real life. The course consists of 14 lessons and some additional material, each of which provides at least one exercise for a total of 29 different exercises. You can download and print a PDF of each exercise, which I recommend. It always helps to write in your own hand because writing helps you to think and to remember better. You pause the video while you are working on an exercise and push Play to see the answer key with tips and explanations.
The purpose of the course is to make it easier for you to express your thoughts and ideas in English using modal verbs effectively.
Join me for this series of 14 lessons and crack the modal verbs in English!
Who this course is for:
- Students 15 and above who want to master English grammar
- Users of English who want to speak and write it correctly
- Professionals who want to grow their English skills
I have been an English language instructor for over 20 years. I specialize in grammar instruction, and I have vast experience teaching reading, writing, and speaking skills. I work with students from Beginner to Advanced levels who are learning English as a second or foreign language. I have also taught many courses on how to prepare for college entrance tests in English (e.g., TOEFL and SAT) with an excellent success rate of over 90%.
My students are young adults who want to learn English well and professional adults who are learning English in order to improve their career options.
English changed my life. I teach in order to pass on what I have learned, so English can change my students' lives in amazing ways, too.