Mixing a Song From Start to Finish
What you'll learn
- create a pop style mix that is ready for mastering
- edit and pitch correct vocals
- use effects such as equalizers, compressors, noise gates, reverb, delay and modulation properly
- setup submix routing
- use automation to change elements in a song
- Download the audio files (I will walk you through this in the 2nd lecture).
- You will need some kind of mixing software (i.e. Pro Tools, Logic, Nuendo, Reaper, FL Studio, Audacity, etc.) Avid's Pro Tools software is used for the lectures in this course.
- And you will need a good quality playback system (speakers and headphones) in order to mix.
Mixing music can be an overwhelming job sometimes. This course aims to break down the task of mixing in to it's basic steps. Students can follow along with the instructor by downloading the provided audio files and mixing the same song as the instructor used for the lectures.
This course should take several weeks to complete. Allow yourself enough time to digest the material before focusing on the next topic. "Mixing a Song From Start to Finish" is structured to cover the process of mixing a song from the first step to the final step in order.
If you have tried mixing before, and know the basics of audio engineering, you are the perfect candidate for this class. It's time to take your skills to the next level!
Who this course is for:
- This music mixing course is meant for audio engineers, producers, artists and musicians who are looking to take their songs to the "next level." Some prior experience mixing music is assumed. This course is probably not for you if you've never tried to mix a song before.
Audio Instructor at Atlanta Institute of Music and Media
BBA, Florida International University
Avid Certified Pro Tools Instructor
Waves Audio Certified
Certified Higher Education Professional from NASASPS
I have been involved in the music industry for 17 years, and engineering (recording and mixing) for 12 years. Originally, I started out as a musician before becoming involved behind the scenes in recording studios. I have worked in many different genres of music through the years, and I am a voting member for the Grammy Awards.