Microsoft Power BI: The Art of Designing Incredible Tools
What you'll learn
- Master the principles of Gestalt design and learn how to apply smart design techniques to business intelligence reports, as well as common mistakes to avoid.
- Learn how to apply color strategically in your tools to ensure maximum readability and guide your users through the most important insights in your tools.
- Learn how to find the story and dissect datasets in order to create compelling narratives that propel business users towards insights and, ultimately, action.
- Use common business tools and built-in Power BI functionality to engineer design and navigation experiences for your users that will immerse them in your tool.
- Apply common web design techniques to business intelligence tools, transforming your creations from semi-interactive reports into complex data-driven web tools.
- Learn how to conceptualize and deliver a front-end design experience from start to finish, using a free UFO sightings dataset.
- Basic data visualization experience is a requirement for this tool and familiarity with data modeling concepts will be extremely helpful. No DAX or Power Query experience is required for this course.
Microsoft Power BI: The Art of Designing Incredible Tools is a course focused on what it means to design beautiful reports and dashboards. Are you a Power BI builder struggling with how to design tools that look as amazing on the front-end as they are in the back-end? You're in the right place! Where other wonderful courses teach the technical aspects of Power BI that help aspiring BI engineers wrangle data, transform it, visualize it, and publish tools across their company, this course is focused specifically on the art of designing tools that look amazing, tell meaningful data stories, and deliver a wonderful online user experience.
In this course, learn about some foundational design techniques based in Gestalt psychology, learn how to refine your use of color to make the most important insights "pop", learn how data storytelling is very different from traditional narrative storytelling, and learn about the many things that BI tools and video games have in common when it comes to user experience. In 15 hours, you're not guaranteed to learn everything there is to learn about design and data storytelling, but you will receive the exposure necessary to elevate your BI tools from collections of data visuals into gorgeous "tools" that marry data visualization, design, color, text, imagery, and other stylistic elements in order to invite your users into your creations.
Who this course is for:
- This course is focused specifically on Power BI users who are comfortable building data visuals like bar charts, line charts, etc. and have little difficulty modeling their data, but who struggle with designing attractive and user-friendly reports. This course is focused on teaching useful design principles, basic web navigation features, and data storytelling. Non-Power BI professionals should find many of the design techniques in this course more or less universal but the course will examine BI tool design exclusively from a Power BI perspective.
- This course is not intended for users looking to build their DAX skills or learn how to construct/customize data visuals. It will focus almost exclusively on higher-level design techniques, as this is an area that I seldom see covered in other BI trainings, which tend to focus on more specific "how do I build this?" areas. This course will focus on "how do I design this?"
Sean Chandler has been working professionally in business intelligence since 2014, specializing in creating solutions of all shapes and sizes on the Microsoft Power Platform. In 2019, he joined Humana, where he currently works as a Business Intelligence Lead building a team focused on advancing clinical analytics for one of the US' largest health insurance providers.
As a BI professional, Sean has delivered hundreds of Power BI projects ranging from small ad hoc solutions to enormous tools integrating tens of millions of rows of complex business data. He has won multiple awards for his BI work and has even been featured as a presenter on Microsoft Mechanics to discuss his builds. Over the past several years, his Power BI expertise has allowed him to teach a variety of courses on designing effective solutions and deliver multiple presentations to hundreds of aspiring BI professionals
Sean's teaching experience spans more than a decade, beginning in 2010 when he spent more than a year teaching ESL in South Korea. Since then, Sean has helped prepare dozens of Kentucky high school students for college entrance exams and delivered online curriculum & learning content for multiple platforms focused on helping others become better Power BI developers.
A proud Kentuckian, Sean is a graduate of Centre College and holds a MA in International Diplomacy and MBA from the University of Kentucky. In his spare time, Sean enjoys yoga, weightlifting, gaming, and spending quality time with his spouse. He also loves to travel, particularly to favorite destinations like Croatia, Bosnia, South Korea, and Switzerland. He currently resides in Louisville, Kentucky.