Power BI Essentials
What you'll learn
- Import data into Power BI Desktop from a wide variety of data sources
- How to join different data sets together, even if they come from different files, databases, or other sources
- Clean and transform your data so it’s ready for use with Power BI
- Delve into “Get Data” and an introduction to understanding “M” code (Power Query language)
- Turn short, wide data tables into long, tall tables and why this is so useful for Power BI
- Join multiple data tables together and understanding relationships
- Create efficient data models: merging, appending, and structuring your datasets to create the optimal structure
- Apply your Power Query skills to Excel and when to choose one over the other
- Use different techniques for creating and utilizing a Calendar table that you can use to slice and summarize your reports
- Create queries that automatically report errors and missing codes
- Automatically combine all the Excel, CSV, or Text files in a folder into one table and see how you could apply this
- Apply the principles of filter context, how critical this is for DAX formulas, and how to modify this in calculations to produce the results you need
- Use DAX formulas work and how they’re different from Excel (even though they look similar!)
- Determine when to use a calculated column in a table and when to write a measure
- Create stunning interactive reports and share amazing insights! Power BI gives Excel users the power to extract data from multiple sources, link it together, perform calculations, and create powerful visualizations.
- This is an introductory course and although it does not assume any prior experience with Power BI, participants will gain much more from the course if they have at least used Power BI a little prior to attending. Participants who have taught themselves Power BI will also benefit from attending as the course will fill-in a number of gaps in their knowledge and will also extend what they know.
- A general understanding of databases, Excel formulas, and Excel Pivot Tables is useful though not essential.
Power BI gives Excel users the power to extract data from multiple sources, link it together, perform calculations, and create powerful visualizations.
Power BI is an AMAZING cloud-based business analytics service provided by Microsoft that allows users to transform data into rich, interactive visual reports that present a 360-degree business view and improve business decision-making.
Power BI Desktop is a development platform from Microsoft that allows users to connect to a huge range of data sources, clean and transform messy data, create relationships between data sets, perform calculations and prepare stunning interactive reports.
Power BI allows users to publish their interactive reports and share certain features of those reports with others. Reports published to the platform can be set to refresh automatically and can be interacted with online using any browser or mobile device.
More about this course and Starweaver
This course is led by a seasoned technology industry practitioner and executive with many years of hands-on, in-the-trenches data analysis and visualization work. It has been designed, produced and delivered by Starweaver. Starweaver is one of the most highly regarded, well-established training providers in the world, providing training courses to many of the leading financial institutions and technology companies, including:
Ahli United Bank; Mashreqbank; American Express; ANZ Bank; ATT; Banco Votorantim; Bank of America; Bank of America Global Markets; Bank of America Private Bank; Barclay Bank; BMO Financial Group; BMO Financial Services; BNP Paribas; Boeing; Cigna; Citibank; Cognizant; Commerzbank; Credit Lyonnais/Calyon; Electrosonic; Farm Credit Administration; Fifth Third Bank; GENPACT; GEP Software; GLG Group; Hartford; HCL; HCL; Helaba; HSBC; HSBC Corporate Bank; HSBC India; HSBC Private Bank; Legal & General; National Australia Bank; Nomura Securities; PNC Financial Services Group; Quintiles; RAK Bank; Regions Bank; Royal Bank of Canada; Royal Bank of Scotland; Santander Corporate Bank; Tata Consultancy Services; Union Bank; ValueMomentum; Wells Fargo; Wells Fargo India Solutions; Westpac Corporate Bank; Wipro; and, many others.
Starweaver has and continues to deliver 1000s of live in-person and online education for organizational training programs for new hires and induction, as well as mid-career and senior-level immersion and leadership courses.
If you are looking for live streaming education or want to understand what courses might be best for you in technology or business, just google:
starweaver journey builder starweaver[dot]com
Who this course is for:
- Excel users & analysts that focus on extracting, re-organizing, and analyzing data
- Anyone involved in creating visualizations & data modeling
- Anyone interested in saving huge amounts of time in automating the work involved in creating recurring reports and dashboards
We are on a mission to transform technologists into world-class experts, and business people into tech-savvy leaders.
It's that simple!
We are a technology and media company that delivers a completely new, immersive, addictive and connected education experience online for technology and business pros.
We help you develop habits and skills that kick your talent into a star-level of performance!
We deliver superlative, hands-on and practical professional development and education focused on several key domains:
1. Data Science, including big data, machine learning, data visualization, data analytics...
2. Cloud Computing, including Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform / Firebase, IoT, Platform as a Service, Infrastructure as a Services, Software as a Service...
4. Agility & Stability, including a broad group of frameworks and techniques involving Agile, Scrum, Kanban, TOGAF, ITIL, cybersecurity...
5. Business domains, including a strong emphasis on banking, finance, securities, and insurance (e.g., derivatives, credit risk management, corporate finance, financial modelling...)...
Our business is designed to boost your knowledge and skills so that you can apply what you gain immediately in your job, or that next great job you are looking to start. We address, largely, more advanced, or complex subjects and convert those into rational, understandable, and usable information you can employ right away. If you want to take a great leap forward in your career, we are here to make that happen.
Our instructors are seasoned practitioners who have worked in the fields their cover and relate the subjects covered to real work situations you will encounter in your job. So, the concepts are real, the coverage is at the right level of depth, and the material is straightforward.
Who trusts us with their training requirements? The world's preeminent companies, organizations, and agencies. Specifically? Check out our website and you will see that these are the best of the best.
THE ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT
Since I was 15, I have been involved in starting, building, expanding, or growing entrepreneurial ventures. Some ventures began in my backyard; others in someone's basement or apartment; and still others within a huge national or global enterprise. In all cases, what has driven me is taking an idea (or problem) and helping spawn that into a reality.
Whether the venture created is in business, science, the arts, education, or any other humane field of endeavor, invention and discovery drives me. I am also very committed to contribute to my family, friends, colleagues, community, and world.
I have been in so many different ventures in my life that my mother wondered out loud when I was 'going to get a job.' But my job has always been creating jobs. That is the work of an entrepreneur. In the early 1990s, I began my career in technology investment banking, advising software and hardware companies on business and financing strategies, and raising funds for those businesses. At that same time, I took a strong interest in publishing. As we all know, both information publishing companies and technology companies in the 1990s saw their World crash together head on. Each learned they could not survive or thrive if they were not strong in their command of both technology and information.
Not every venture I have been involved in succeeded. Anyone who tell you have a perfect business track record is simply lying. But the failures inform how you do the next one better ..., assuming you are willing to learn and grow by the mistakes you make.
ENTRY INTO THE BUSINESS OF EDUCATION
In 2002, I landed in the education arena when we rescued and then resuscitated a globally well-regarded live, in person training and publishing company that had jumped into e-learning in the late 1990s, way before anyone even knew how that might work online. I ran that business for about 16 years and travelled the World to manage training initiatives for many of the largest global financial institutions, and many 100s of 1000s of individual students (over 10x the number of students I now have on Udemy).
THE BACKDROP | A PASSION FOR LEARNING | PERSISTENCE
As a child, I struggled to read and felt a great deal of embarrassment and frustration because of that. But I refused to let that prevent me from learning. I kept many hundreds of English language words with definitions and their usages on file cards, and daily reviewed and read their meanings and usage. I felt embarrassed, humbled and (rather) angry that I had difficulty learning. But I PERSISTED AND WOULD NOT GIVE UP.
By high school was enrolled in many advanced placement classes, and then was fortunate to end up at an Ivy League school (the University of Pennsylvania) where I majored in Economics and had dual minors in Mathematics and English. I also participated in courses in the UPenn's venerated Benjamin Franklin Scholars program, which was intended to be limited to the most intellectually gifted kids at school (which I was certainly not). So, how did I get to take courses in this program? I demonstrated that I wanted to learn everything and would not compromise on the normal boundaries. I also showed up and would not take no for an answer. I SIMPLY
PERSISTED AND WOULD NOT GIVE UP.
MY TAKEAWAY AND ADVICE FOR YOU
If you want to build your dreams, you can but you must persist. You must set your eye on an ambition and never give up. You must learn to pivot and change as circumstances change, of course, and you must always learn and learn to learn.
My mission is to help you learn and to help you achieve your dreams. Feel free to reach out to me on LinkedIn if I can support your ambitions in any way.
Stay healthy. Stay happy. Keep growing. Always be learning.
Jeff is the founding Director and Principal Business Analyst at Access Analytic Solutions. He has over 20 years’ experience in chartered accounting, business management and consulting.
Jeff holds a Masters in Applied Finance and is a Certified Information Systems Auditor. He is highly regarded and recognised around the world as an expert in the field of financial modelling and Power BI reporting.
His achievements have been recognised by his peers and he is a Fellow of both the Financial Services Institute of Australasia and the Australian Institute of Management.
Jeff has extensive experience in best practice management reporting, data analytics, business analysis, and financial modelling and is also an entertaining international presenter and trainer on these subjects.