Meditation for beginners - 5 Simple techniques that work.
- 1.5 hours on-demand video
- 1 article
- 10 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Calm down your active mind, manage your stress levels and become happier whenever and wherever you want.
- Gain focus, enhance the clarity of your thinking and feel more peaceful even during your active day.
- Feel free and empowered to make positive changes in all aspects of your life. You will never feel helpless or hopeless again.
- Understand that meditation is for everyone and can be applied on a daily basis to any situation.
- No previous experience is necessary for this course. Simply watch, listen and apply to your life to see the amazing results.
Many people think Meditation is difficult and that you have to sit cross legged and have no thoughts at all to be successful at it. This is not the truth.
This course dispels the myths and teaches meditation in an easy to understand manner with techniques you can use anywhere and at any time.
Five simple techniques are taught that makes learning meditation easy and fun.
No prior experience is needed and the techniques can be done at any time, place and by anyone.
The methodolgies are tried and tested with thousands of happy students globally.
The techniques are simple, memorable, easy to use and effective.
Results will be seen as soon as the techniques are applied to daily living.
It is ideal for anyone feeling that life is speeding up, there is too much stress, anyone with feelings of depression and exhaustion and anyone who just wants to take more control on a daily basis of their thoughts and emotions.
- This course is meant for people who have a hyper active mind and wish to bring it under control. If you experience stress, tension, anxiety, negative thoughts or depression then it will provide immense benefit. Also helpful for busy people who simply want more peace in their life.
- This course recognises that the pace of life is speeding up and therefore we all need to be able to juggle more and more activities each day . The course provides 5 simple tools to bring your mind and thoughts under your control as you go thought your busy day.
Vikas Malkani is one of the world's leading teachers of Meditation. He is the founder of SoulCentre, Asia's Premier Centre for Personal Development.
He teaches people how to be happy, successful and how to bring out their greatest potential.
Meditation is easy to learn and enables you to look within and to see yourself and your talents.
In this program,Vikas will teach 5 simple techniques that you can use anywhere and at any time.
The practice and wisdom when applied will bring you step by step towards living your best life.
There are many misconceptions about Meditation.
Vikas clearly explains what Meditation is and also clears any doubts about what Meditation is not.
Vikas shares his personal life journey to help the listener understand that Vikas is just like everyone else and through applying these techniques he has been able to train his mind to be a friend and not an enemy.
Some points of clarification about Meditation;
- Meditation is an ancient practice and has been around for many thousands of years.
- Meditation is not religious. Anyone and everyone can benefit.
- Meditation is simple to practice and is not difficult to learn.
- Meditation calms the chattering mind and brings more peace to your life.
- Meditation does not make you passive, it energises you to be focused and to take action on what you want from life.
Meditation is the teaching of freedom and power.
If something in life is not working, meditation allows you to identify it, own it and make changes in life.
Meditation gives you the skills to make life what you want it to be.
Dhyaan is the Sanskrit word for Meditation
Meditation is the complete training on how to make life better through the use of the mind.
Meditation is about 3 aspects;
- Your Mind
- Your Life
Meditation teaches that you need to be of "full mind" in whatever you are doing.
So what is the difference between Meditation and Mindfulness? Meditation is seen as the complete book, and mindfulness is one chapter of this book.
There are 3 Anchors of Meditation and Vikas has created a model called " The Trinity of Meditation " which explains this in a simple manner;
- Tools and Techniques
This beautiful and memorable story of the German Shepherd Dog is actually about our life.
What lessons can we learn?
1) The Lesson of Ownership and Responsibility
Whatever you bring into your life , you have said "yes" to. You have made it happen. It is in your life with your permission . So remember this.
2) The Lesson of Choice and Consequence.
Anything that you bring into your life is also on its own journey. You cannot control it fully.
You can make choices, but you cannot control the consequences of these choices.
You have to look at life and consider " Are you walking the dog, or is the dog taking you for a run "
3) The Lesson of Option
There are always options available.
- Open your hand and drop the leash. But this is a drastic option and simply walking away is not the solution.
- Continue on the same path and hope things change. Shout and moan louder hoping things will change. But do remember that hope is not an option!
- Reclaim the power over the "Dog" , bring it back under your control and show your life who is in charge.
- Your life is your responsibility and no one else's.
- You can change and improve your life, by making different choices from a base of peace and positivity.
Technique Number One - STOP
This technique takes only 30 seconds
Simply stop everything else you are doing and tell the mind to 'STOP"
You are in effect stopping the " Dog " of your mind.
The mind has 60,000 - 100,000 thoughts a day
Meditation is not about making the mind have no thoughts , its about choosing a thought to focus upon.This leads to a peaceful mind, with more control and power.
When the mind focusses on a particular thought and pays attention to it, it becomes of "full mind" and "mindful "
If your mind jumps, or if different thoughts come in, then simply recognise the fact your mind has jumped away and simply bring it back onto your chosen thought.
Technique Number Two - Shaping your mind
As soon as you wake up, the mind starts working, and your day begins with thoughts.
The mind never stops thinking.
The last thing you do before you fall asleep is to have thoughts.
You spend more time with yourself, thinking to yourself than with any other human being.
Shaping your mind is a technique that introduces you to the " GAP ", this is the moment you wake up and before you become fully conscious and it is the moment when the mind is open and fluid.
Your day is not yet decided until your first thought starts and then your mind gets shaped by all these thoughts into how the day will be. Will it be a good day or a bad day really depends on these first thoughts.
As soon as the first thought happens, stop everything else and bring in a positive thought.
Shape your mind to bring in positives and the effect on your day will be remarkable.
Repeat the same exercise at night before you fall asleep .
The mind has to be set by us, so consciously set your mind by bringing in positive thoughts.
The mind is like silver- keep it polished at all times for it to shine bright.
Do not neglect it and make it your best friend.
Technique number Three - Breathe with Attention
Life starts with the first breath and ends with the last breath.
We are breathing all the time, yet we pay little attention to the breath each day.
"Breathe with Attention" is a simple technique and one you can do anywhere
- Close your eyes
- Bring your attention inwards
- Focus on the area around your nose
- Pay attention to your breath.
- Focus on the breath going in and out of the body
- Do this for at least 5 breaths
The breath is bringing in the energy to keep you alive, yet we give it little attention.
This technique will bring peace of mind, stability, inner centering and bring the body to calmness.
It also allows the body to heal faster.
Technique number Four - 10 Soul Pull-ups.
We do physical pull-ups to strengthen the body, now its time to strengthen the Soul.
Do 10 "Soul Pull-ups" each and every day.
This technique is simple to do;
- Hold up your palms to show all 10 fingers
- Close your eyes
- Think of one thing you are happy to have in your life
- Say " I am blessed to have.. " and add the thought (for example " I am blessed to have good health")
- Feel the emotion surrounding the blessing in your life
- Close one finger as one blessing is now complete.
This technique reminds you of what is good in your life and what blessings you have.
It teaches you to focus on the good in life.
It takes only 5 minutes to practice and can change your life.
Move from a negative feeling of being "pissed with life" to a positive feeling of being " blissed with life"
Celebrate your life each and every day by keeping your mind positive, peaceful and happy.
Technique number Five - Count to 8
Vikas practices all these Meditation techniques himself and knows that they work.
The 5th technique "Count to 8" is good when you feel negative emotions arising.
The technique is simple to do, just follow these steps;
- Close your eyes
- Focus on drawing and counting the numbers
- Take your minds attention from the external stimulus and give it something to do by counting
- Count slowly from 1 to 8
- See the numbers written in lights in your mind
- Now simply reverse the count from 8 down to zero.
- Now wipe away everything you have written in the mind
- Repeat until the mind becomes calm and peaceful
This technique combines counting and visualisation and the result is a calmer mind.
Lets recap on all 5 techniques
1) STOP your mind at least 8 times a day and for 30 seconds at a time.
2) Shaping your mind - Use the small window at the beginning and ending of each day to bring in positive thoughts.
3) Breathe with Attention - Focus your mind to stay on the breath.
4) 10 Soul pull ups - Remind yourself how many blessings you have in life.
5) Count to 8 - Use visualisation and focus on the counting.
The techniques are simple and easy to use.
The mind will jump here and there and get distracted. If this happens, do not be hard on yourself, simply bring the mind back to the technique and continue.
With practice, the mind will become positive, peaceful and powerful.
Remember as Vikas says " You are the author of your own life story " ...so make it a truly amazing one.
Stay connected with us at SoulCentre , we are happy to help in any way we can.