Introduction to Mechanical Drawings
What you'll learn
- Mechanical drafting software DraftSight (free)
- Setting up custom title blocks for drawings
- Orthographic projection
- Dimension styles
- Isometric sketching
- Geometric Tolerances
- Download free version of DraftSight from Dassault Systems
This course is meant to give a brief introduction to mechanical drawings that an engineer would typically give to a machine or fab shop or create for the mass production environment.
We go over orthographic projection, section views, auxiliary views, dimensioning styles, and geometric tolerances. In order to learn all of these things, we utilize DraftSight, a free 2D sketch environment created by Dassault Systems.
Who this course is for:
- STEM students who would like an introduction into mechanical drawings
- Machinists who want to be able to put drawings from PDF into CAD
- For those who want to learn 3D modeling but need an introductory course in mechanical drawings
I have a professional engineering license in mechanical engineering with emphasis in mechanical design and materials. I graduated with a bachelors of science in mechanical engineering from the University of Kentucky.
I have experience as an industrial automation equipment designer, where I honed my solid modeling skills with SolidWorks. I currently own my own mechanical design business (Bustle Industrial Designs, LLC).
I want to impart practical knowledge to others that I have gained through my experience in order for them to get the best start they possibly can.