Maven Quick Start: A Fast Introduction to Maven by Example
- Basic Computer Skills
- Ability to install software (may require admin rights)
The Maven Quick Start course is designed to cut academic theory to just the key concepts and focus on basics tasks in Maven in order to be productive quickly. The lessons and examples provided are delivered in a step-by-step, detailed way to ensure mastery of the skills and topics covered.
Introduction walks through the course goals, approach and the core concepts of Maven.
After that, we breeze through installation of all required tools in the Quick Installation section. The full step-by-step installation process is available in the Bonus sections.
In Setup and Getting Help, we cover how to ask for help in Maven. We also download the course working files on GitHub.
With the formalities out of the way, we dive into a Maven Quick Start By Example, walking the foundational aspects of Maven using a sample application.
After the basics are covered, we explore Maven Plugins in more detail by customizing our project using them.
One of the key aspects of Maven, is how it handles Dependencies. We go deeper by adding dependencies from Maven Central and explore the role of scopes with dependencies in Maven.
Then we improve our project by Unit Testing -- where we add JUnit tests, deal with (and avoid) testing failures. Finally, the last section of the main part of this course is dedicated to running Maven within Eclipse using the M2Eclipse plugin.
Finally, we will look at Using Archetypes to jump start Maven projects by using a template system.
During the entire course, we get into a habit of saving our changes periodically using Git source control.
Presentations provide audio/video training of conceptual ideas. Since few like slide-ware presentations, slide-presentations are kept to a minimum.
Over 2 hours of Screencasts provide a video of the instructor's computer system with any actions, commands, or screens displayed and narrated.
Project files and examples are all available on GitHub.
This course is fully closed captioned!
- Java developers
- Developers unfamiliar with Maven
- DevOps Engineers
- IT Managers that want an overview of Maven
- Welcome: What's In This Course01:59
- Maven Key Concepts04:04
- Course Tools02:08
- Quick Installation Overview01:06
- Quick Installation Process for Windows Users08:30
- Quick Installation Notes for Windows Users03:51
- Quick Installation Process for Mac OS X Users06:19
- Quick Installation Notes for Mac OS X Users03:20
- Quick Start Overview01:00
- The Setup: Source Control01:17
- The Setup: Project Folder02:26
- Accessing the Sample Content00:30
- Maven Lifecycles Explained01:32
- Minimal Maven Project03:04
- Update Git Repository01:36
- Directory Conventions in Maven01:32
- Standard Directory Templates Explained02:57
- Preserving Folders within Git02:33
- Adding Java Source03:01
- Building with Maven and the Target Directory01:34
- Removing the Previous Build Results00:40
- Multiple Goals01:16
- Maven Local Repository04:18
- Cleanup: Commit Changes to Git03:46
- Plugins Overview01:14
- Plugin Introduction and Documentation02:15
- The Setup: Modern Java Source02:33
- Compiler Plugin and Execution02:52
- Executing the Sample Application00:42
- Cleanup: Update Git Repository01:22
- Dependency Overview and Scopes Explained02:57
- Adding Dependencies01:56
- Adding Dependencies from Maven Central02:29
- Cleanup: Saving Changes in Git00:48
- Listing Project Dependencies01:37
- Unit Testing Overview00:15
- Adding Unit Test Code02:02
- JUnit Dependency Update01:52
- Running Tests with Maven01:20
- Test Reports01:11
- Cleanup: Commit Changes in Git01:26
- Eclipse-Maven Integration Overview00:25
- Eclipse Quick Install on Windows01:29
- Eclipse Quick Install on Mac OS X02:18
- Creating a New Maven Project in Eclipse02:34
- Importing Existing Maven Projects into Eclipse01:10
- Reviewing the POM File within Eclipse02:15
- Running Maven within Eclipse02:18
- Cleanup: Git Updates04:56
- Using Archetypes Overview00:24
- Archetypes Documentation03:50
- Simple Project and Review03:26
- Generating a Project Non-Interactively02:12
- Simple Project Review and Build02:45
- Review and Final Thoughts00:56
- Windows 10 Full Installation Overview02:20
- Platform (32 vs 64 bits)01:25
- Chrome Installation (Optional)02:42
- Git for Windows Installation05:37
- Git for Windows Help01:10
- Git for Windows Minimal Configuration03:18
- Notepad++ Installation05:18
- Notepad++ Git Integration04:40
- Java SDK (JDK) Installation03:12
- Java SDK (JDK) Configuration02:54
- Maven Installation04:40