Mastering Apache Maven
What you'll learn
- Be able to create and build Java applications using Maven
- Understand dependency resolution, how Maven resolves dependencies ad where to get dependencies for your own projects
- Understand the build lifecycle and phases of Maven builds
- Know how to use plugins to customize their builds with Maven
- Feel confident using Maven at the commandline and within the IDE
- Know how Maven works under the hood and feel confident to troubleshoot any problem builds
- Have the knowledge to know where to look for further information to do more advanced types of builds
- Be familiar with creating simple applications using Java and have an awareness of basic concepts like compilation of Java code, running of a Java class etc.
- An interest and desire to know how Maven works from the ground up
- A basic ability to use an IDE for simple Java development is nice, but not required
- Be able to use the commandline to run simple commands
What will you learn in this course?
An excellent understanding of how Maven works under the hood
The ability to create and build your own Java projects with Maven
Understand where to find dependencies (libraries) to use in your projects and how to include them (unlocking and tapping into the huge Java ecosystem of opensource libraries and components)
Understand how Maven describes projects with the Project Object Model
Appreciate how Maven resolves dependencies
Be familiar with the build lifecycle and its phases
Understand simple customization of a build to execute plugins
Know how to use Maven in Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA - the two most popular Java IDEs!
In addition you'll get a Maven Cheatsheet of commands you can use to have at your desktop as a handy reference. We'll be adding more resources too as your requests are heard and your feedback given to make it the best course it can be for you!
Who is this course for?
This course is for newcomers to the Maven build tool. Perhaps you're one of the following:
an experienced Java developer who needs to understand Apache Maven quickly
are new to Java technology and/or have a new job in this area and need to understand how Maven works
an employee who has recently transitioned to using Java and have read about Maven and need to get to grips with it from day one
a Java developer who has only built applications in an IDE or with another build tool like Ant or Gradle and needs to transition to Maven
a student who is studying Java and needs to be able to build Java applications with Maven
a recent graduate who needs to get up and running quickly
a devops engineer who wants to get an overview of the tool by introduction to the basics
What is this course about?
This course is a no-nonsense introduction to getting started with Maven.
In this course we look at the Maven build tool which is the number one industry standard currently for creating Java applications. By concentrating on practical hands-on demonstrations, you'll see first hand how Maven works and from there develop the confidence to be able to use it independently to build your Java projects at home, college or in the workplace.
Whereas many courses will be presentation-style, this course is unique in that it demonstrates concepts by demonstration: first, "at the commandline" with videos that explain what Maven is doing and how it is doing it, then in IDEs using the sophisticated Maven integration that Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA have. In this way, you'll develop an understanding of the nuts and bolts of the tool and be in a position to develop effectively with it afterwards. This approach also means you're more likely to be able to more effectively troubleshoot any problems you may encounter by applying this knowledge from first principles.
It's a beginners course, although has some useful content for those already familiar with Maven. But to get maximum value from the course, you should really be a beginner with the tool. Maybe you've started a new job where they use it to build their applications, or you're learning industry-standard tools to better place you ahead of the competition.
Ultimately, by unlocking the mechanics of how Maven works in front of your eyes, you should be able to better build Java projects with the tool and have fun doing so!
I look forward to teaching you all about Maven inside! ;)
Who this course is for:
- Developers who want to learn the Maven build tool to be able to develop Java applications simply and effectively.
- Anyone who wants to understand the basics of how to use Maven at an introductory to intermediate level.
- Beginning to intermediate java developers who want to master how Maven works by understanding what it does
Do you want to take your Java skills to the next level?
I started JavaEasily in 2018 so I could produce courses focused on teaching Java technology to students all around the world.
Since then I've been busy creating the Java Easily website and publishing courses and articles on different aspects of Java.
Feel free to check out the JavaEasily YouTube channel and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Here's to your success with Java! ;)
JavaEasily helps you become a better Java developer by teaching you the core skills you need to succeed in Java today.
We create courses for beginner and intermediate Java developers to help them deepen their knowledge and accelerate their developer career!