Mastering Photoshop Channel Masking
- 2.5 hours on-demand video
- 1 article
- 9 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Following this course, you will be able to understand and apply techniques that allow the quick creation of complex masks.
- Improve or replace the sky in a landscape image.
- Create complex and delicate masks to hide elements of a photograph..
- Replace the background in a photograph.
- Select and mask areas of very fine detail such as hair.
- Apply selective adjustments based on how light or dark an area is in a photograph.
- You will learn tools and techniques to address common problems you might encounter.
- Learn to create seamless adjustments that are almost impossible to detect.
- To take this course you will need Photoshop installed on your PC or Mac. This course is not compatible with Adobe Elements.
- Before taking this course, you should be familiar with Photoshop and feel confident using the interface.
- Familiarity in applying adjustments such as Levels and Curves will be a benefit.
- Although the course shows Photoshop CC, any version of Photoshop released in the past 15 years will work.
Photoshop is an exceptionally powerful and the tool of choice for professional photography retouching. But with this power and flexibility comes complexity. Complexity that can make it difficult to learn and use, with new tools being added regularly
One of the most common tasks you will need to perform is selective adjustment. Perhaps you want to create a black and white photo an isolated area of colour? Maybe you want to replace a clear blue sky with fluffy white clouds? Or, do you want to combine multiple images into a single scene? And I’m certain you want the finished image to be of excellent quality.
Despite all the new tools and advances, professional image editors will repeatedly turn to the techniques outlined in this course. These allow you to create complex and detailed masks with speed and precision. In many instances, more easily and with greater accuracy than the latest tools. Like many things in life, once you learn the best techniques, achieving great results becomes easy.
This course will help you learn and master the essential skills of channel masking. All the skills you need to create and refine complex masks are explained in full. Working with the images you see in the videos you can follow each lessons step by step; all the image files are provided. The course also includes two full length examples, again with sample images for you to follow.
Watch the course trailer now to see these powerful techniques in use.
- This course will appeal to people who want to edit or enhance photographs to a professional standard.
- Digital artists interested in compositing art work from multiple sources will find the techniques valuable.
- Anyone who wants to advance their Photoshop skills.
In this section of the course you will learn how to create a channel mask. The first lesson looks at creating your first channel mask using the sample file. This mask will be used to separate the sky in the image from the ground. The second lesson in the section will explain how you can refine the mask created in the first lesson to improve results. The third and final lesson will examine how you can change the mode of an image for more channel masking options.
By the end of this section of the course you will be able to create simple channel masks from any image.
Be sure to complete the section quiz before continuing to the next section of the course.
In this lesson you will learn about the three colour channels that make up an RGB image. You will also learn how to read these channels to understand how they represent colour information. Following this, you will create your first channel mask by copying the channel information and converting this to a layer mask.
Be sure to save your image as a Photoshop PSD file at the end this lesson as you will be using it in the next lesson.
In this lesson you will be refining the layer mask you created previously. This will require you to turn the sky area of the mask to white and the ground area to black. The edges of the mask will also retain their precise detail using the technique demonstrated.
By the end of this lesson you will have learned one of the techniques that can be used when masking, to refine and improve the quality of a mask.