Mastering Modbus RS485 Network Communication
What you'll learn
- The Origins of the Modbus Protocol and RS485
- Understand Memory Address vs. Memory Value
- Memory Addressing Conventions
- Typical Device Memory Map
- Protocol Network Messaging
- RS485 Standard and Device Interconnection
- Protocol Data Frame Structure
- Query - Response Cycle
- Function Codes and Master Commands
- Modbus Simulation using FREE Simulation Software
- Troubleshooting and Exception Codes
- Floating Point Data Structure
- Modbus Communication with Programmable Logic Controller
- Full Course Support Documentation
- Working knowledge of the process control devices in a typical Process Automation or SCADA system
The Modbus protocol is the oldest and still by far the most popular automation protocol in the field of process automation and SCADA. Knowing how to create Modbus based networks that run on the RS485 serial communication standard is essential for any electrical technician and engineer working in these fields. Being able to integrate devices from different manufacturers is a skill that is in demand and will ultimately make you more valuable and marketable in the industry.
This course gives you the theory behind the Modbus Protocol as well as RS485. It then goes on to show you how they work together to create a Modbus RS485 network. Two freeware applications are then used to create a Modbus network right on your PC so you can see the communication in action.
After completing this course, you will be able to integrate devices from the same manufacturers and different manufacturers, that are Modbus compliant, to form a complete seamless network.
Who this course is for:
- Electrical Engineers
- Electrical Technicians
- Electrical Tech or Engineering Students
- Process Control Technicians
I have been working in the fields of Software Development, Software Systems Integration and Process Automation since 1996. In 2003, I stepped out on my own and started working for myself providing software development and systems integration services to small and medium businesses.
I am also associated with a great company called Mora Systems Limited that under the leadership of it's Managing Director has produced innovative and outstanding products and services in the fields of GIS and Cellular based SCADA.
Teaching has always been a passion for me. I have taught at the tertiary level for many years on the subjects of programming, control systems as well as systems integration. In the last few years I found myself incorporating more and more videos into the curriculum with amazing results.
When I heard of uDemy I just could not help but sign up. With teaching in a classroom, you can reach only so many students, but with uDemy you can reach the world! I plan to publish and promote as many courses as I possibly can on the uDemy platform.