What you'll learn
- Work in parallel on different parts of your project and manage diversions with the aid of branching in Git
- Manage conflicts in your Git app with the help of Merge, a developer’s “magic missile”
- Eliminate errors easily with features such as Reset and Revert and develop clean code in Git
- Make your code linear and get better control over it with features such as Rebase and Blame
- Control your changes in code effortlessly with the help of Patches in Git
- Integrate external software into your project without affecting your app, with the help of SubModules
- With a focus on hands-on exercises, this video course walks through numerous commands, options, and operations with Git and helps you feel more confident and comfortable with creating your own projects.
This course is an exploration of solo and collaborative Source Control Management with the intention of expanding and improving your confidence and expertise with Git.
You’ll begin with a brief overview of Source Control Management before setting up and verifying your Git installation. Then, you’ll move on to a more detailed look at the Git workflow and explore variants and the not-so-rare “special situations”. With a strong understanding of the Git history and structure, you’ll learn how to use powerful tools as Branching, Merging, Reset, Revert and so on. Next, you’ll take a deep dive into more intriguing features of Git such as, Rebase, Stash, Aliases, and Patches. You will explore several examples of these commands to improve the efficiency of using Git. Finally, when you have mastered the various tools provided by Git, you’ll be provided with some suggestions that’ll help you to move forward with Git.
Once you are done with this course, perhaps you will be the one providing answers to others in trouble!
About the Author
Thom Parkin has been writing software since the days when all phones had wires. A self-proclaimed ParaHacker, Thom immerses himself in technology both professionally and as a hobby, spending his free time participating in the world of open source software. When he is not playing euro board games, he is writing software or writing about software development.
Who this course is for:
- This video series includes details on Git that would be valuable to seasoned veterans with previous knowledge or experience in Git as well as to newcomers to this technology.
Packt are an established, trusted, and innovative global technical learning publisher, founded in Birmingham, UK with over eighteen years experience delivering rich premium content from ground-breaking authors and lecturers on a wide range of emerging and established technologies for professional development.
Packt’s purpose is to help technology professionals advance their knowledge and support the growth of new technologies by publishing vital user focused knowledge-based content faster than any other tech publisher, with a growing library of over 9,000 titles, in book, e-book, audio and video learning formats, our multimedia content is valued as a vital learning tool and offers exceptional support for the development of technology knowledge.
We publish on topics that are at the very cutting edge of technology, helping IT professionals learn about the newest tools and frameworks in a way that suits them.