Mastering Chef the Devops Way by School of DevOps®
What you'll learn
- Infrastructure as a Code and related concepts e.g. idempotence, convergence
- Chef's DSL and best practices to write Recipes, Cookbooks etc.
- Create dynamic, data driven Cookbooks with Variables and Templates
- Setup chef workstation with knife, work with chef server and bootstrap nodes
- Managing multiple environments e.g. Dev, Stage, QA, Production
- Externalising properties with Data bags
- Environments and Roles
- Overview of Chef Enterprise
- Linux Command Line Operations
- Text Editor
- Experience with installing and configuring applications
Infrastructure as a Code is one of the foundations of DevOps Automation toolchain. Chef is at the forefront of the IaaC revolutions and was the first tool amongst the four main configuration management tools including Puppet, Ansible and Saltstack .Chef is also the fastest configuration management system and provides a simple DSL (Domain Specific Language) to define the state of resources and does the heavy lifting of managing underlying platform specific operations by itself, providing users higher level of abstraction than scripts do.
The use of Chef is no more limited to servers, but has also expanded to managing all type of devices including routers, embedded systems, storage etc. With more and more organisations adopting to DevOps practices, knowledge on IaaC and tools such as Chef is essential for today's generation of DevOps professionals. This skill would also help one to advance their careers, specially for the operations, systems, networks and DevOps engineers.
This course is one of the most comprehensive programs to master Chef. It starts from most basic concepts related to Infrastructure as a Code, Convergent Infrastructures, Code and Data separation, Idempotence. It then helps you dive into the world of Chef by understanding the basics of the languages such as resources/providers, manifests, modules and then delves deeper into creating dynamic code with parameters, templates, defined types etc. Once equipped with the basics, it unlocks Chef's full potential with advanced topics such as environments, hiera, r10k, puppet enterprise, rolls and design patterns etc. This course takes from from zero to Chef master in two weeks.
Who this course is for:
- Systems Operations Personal who would like to know how to manage infrastructure at scale
- Developers who would like to setup consistent environments and software delivery using automation
- Anyone who would like to be a Devops Professional
- Anyone who is interested learning to write Infrastructure as a Code
- QA who would like to automate test environment setups and create a repeatable way
Gourav comes with more than a decade of experience building, managing and automating systems at scale. He has helped organisations to design and implement devops practices.
He left his corporate job in 2012 to start Initcron, a niche devops consulting firm. He eventually got into delivering devops workshops for the corporates in India and then internationally. He has conducted more than 300 instructor led trainings.
Based on the rare combination of his technical as well as teaching/delivery skills, he started teaching on Udemy circa 2018. In a years time, through School of Devops banner, he has has taught more than 25k students on Udemy and 10k+ in classroom. He is also a published author.
Envisioned by Gourav Shah, a devops expert, author and a international trainer, School of Devops is a global provider of devops trainings with most comprehensive, job oriented, certification driven training programs. School of Devops also builds devops learning tools, technologies and top quality audio/visual content. Schoolofdevops developed it’s own Devops workspace called Codespace, an open scoure IDE. Codespace is based on it's front end engine Akurath, a terminal, a Devops workspace.
Being passionate about world of Open Source software, and later managing systems at scale, Gourav has transformed himself to be an expert Devops Enabler.
We have trained more than 8000 IT professionals from leading tech firms including CISCO, Intuit, Walmart Labs, Dreamworks, Accenture, Cognizant, Capgemini, RBS, Wells Fargo, Oracle etc.making us a coveted devops training company.