Master the Comma
- 2.5 hours on-demand video
- 11 articles
- 13 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Comma usage, following Chicago Manual of Style, the style guide for US authors
- Punctuation rules for commas
It’s time to solve all your comma conundrums.
Learn from a word maven extraordinaire who has taught thousands of students, edited hundreds of manuscripts, and written three books of her own.
Do you still question where to put your commas?
Do you randomly throw commas into your manuscript and hope they’re in the right place?
Do you frequently apologize for your commas?
Do you get manuscripts back from editors or critique partners with so many redlines (corrections)?
This is the course for YOU!
You are going to learn when to use commas. When to never use commas. And how to apply all the comma “rules” to your self-editing practice.
Why do you need an e-course about commas?
There are so many reasons!
1. Commas have more uses than any other punctuation mark.
2. Commas are chameleons.
3. Commas allow readers to understand your writing.
4. Commas save lives!
5. Commas do NOT actually indicate a pause.
6. Comma usage can be nuanced.
7. Commas separate words, phrases, and clauses.
8. Commas show you when information is critical for meaning. And when it is not.
9. Comma mastery is the mark of a skilled writer.
Empower yourself as a writer with clear communication.
Mastering comma usage will boost your creativity and give you the freedom to tell the story you’re meant to write.
You’ll have fun playing with commas while you refine your writing style.
You can be confident that your readers won’t get distracted by your comma usage, or lack thereof, even in your earliest drafts.
Become a sought-after critique partner because of your knowledge.
Improve your self-editing skills by learning the ins and outs of comma usage.
What You Will Get
Content is bite sized and easily digestible.
· Video lessons for 20+ comma rules
· Clear examples
· Sample edits with actual manuscripts from real authors
· Multiple ways to practice
What We Will Cover
I’ll teach you WHY commas are chameleons. We’ll also dig into:
· Comma Rules to Always Use
· Comma Rules to Never Use
· Comma Rules to Choose
· And more
Best of all, I’ll teach you how to apply all this new knowledge to dramatically level up your self-editing game.
Who This Is For and Who This Is Not For
This Is For:
· Writers who are serious about improving their craft
· Writers on a budget
· Writers who want clarity on the Chicago Manual of Style’s expectations
· New writers
· Veteran writers
· Writers of short stories, personal essays, and books (fiction and nonfiction)
· Writers who use American English
This Is Not For:
· Writers who don’t care about their readers
· Writers with no interest in growing
· Writers with scads of money to throw at editors for multiple rounds of editing
· Writers who make the Chicago Manual of Style bedtime reading
· Writers who already know all the comma rules and how to use them
· Writers of poetry
Why Learn From Me
I’m a word maven extraordinaire. A client once dubbed me the “Comma Queen.” I know what I’m doing.
I have over twelve years’ experience in classrooms, teaching real live people how to write (and use commas).
I worked for a National Writing Project affiliate and taught other teachers how to teach writing (and use commas).
I’ve been a professional editor for six years, and I’ve seen hundreds of manuscripts and edited millions of words.
I’m friendly and approachable. Some people even think I’m fun.
I’m also a writer, with three books publishing in early 2020, so I know what it feels like to be on the other side of the editing pen.
Teaching writers how to make their work shine is my passion. Let me help you.
I’ve never been able to understand how commas work. What makes you different?
I learned about commas in school. Why do I need a course on commas?
Will I have to complete boring practice worksheets?
What do I need to know to do well?
I’m worried that I’m a terrible writer. Are you grading me?
What if I have a question during the course?
What if I can’t attend the LIVE call?
If I fall behind, can I catch up later?
What is your refund policy?
What if I have a writing question that’s not about commas?
Now is the time to master the comma so you can save face (no more embarrassing mishaps), time (no more googling “how to use commas”), and money (no more extra rounds of edits). I can’t wait to see you in the course.
- Writers who want to be better self-editors
- Writers who want to improve their craft
- Writers who are ready to stop apologizing for their comma usage (or lack thereof)
Have fun celebrating those rules you already know with a song from this playlist. Or choose your favorite celebration tune to groove to.
Before we get started, there are a few terms I want to make sure you're familiar with so that we're speaking the same language.
There are review sheets for "Parts of Speech" and "Phrases and Clauses," which you can print out for a hand reference.
Note about the 15 Punctuation Marks PDF:
This is the property of the Visual Communication Guy. This is for your personal use only and can't be redistributed, printed, sold, or used for anything else. Please do NOT share on social media.