Master Macstitch/Winstitch for Blackwork Embroidery Designs
What you'll learn
- Create your first chart for Blackwork Embroidery with MacStitch/Winstitch
- Personalise the software, create thread pallets and edit your charts
- Learn to create Motifs and Special Stitches
- Print and export your charts
- No previous experience of the software is required - I will take you through each stage in simple steps
- You must have access to the internet and be able to download a demo the program
- Computer with a mouse is required
- Willingness to experiment and have fun
In this course we will be exploring the program MacStitch/WinStitch to create charts for Blackwork embroidery. The program can be used to create a variety of different types of charts including for cross stitch, crochet, diamond painting and counted thread embroidery.
In this course I will take you step by step through creating your first chart.
We start by looking at what you will need and then learn to navigate the menus, toolbars and the screen.
We shall then create and edit your first chart before moving on to create motifs and special stitches.
We will look at customising thread pallettes and changing the preferences for new charts specially for blackwork embroidery.
We shall save and export our chart as a pdf before learning how to print it.
Please note: There have been minor changes to the program since the last major upgrade in Feb 2022 but they should not adversely affect your ability to do this course.
I would encourage you to play with the program after each lesson, practice what I have shown you as I believe that we learn a software program best by using it. If you don’t have the software on your computer you can download a free trial version to see if you like it and if it will be useful for you. A Demo of the program is available from Ursa Software which includes most of the features that we shall cover.
Who this course is for:
- This course is designed for learners who want to familiarise themselves with MacStitch/WinStitch to create charts for use in Blackwork Embroidery either for personal use or for sale.
- Learners who have some experience with the program who want to create Blackwork Embroidery Charts
I love all textile crafts and will have a go at anything textile related! I grew up learning to sew, embroider and knit and spent many years when my children were young doing cross stitch kits and patchwork.
Eventually I wanted to progress my skills further and learn to embroider to a high standard. This was in the days before there were many online courses available and we didn't have a computer so I went to the local adult education classes to do a City and Guilds Course in Creative Hand Embroidery.
I followed this in 2009 with the Certificate in Technical Hand Embroidery with the Royal School of Needlework based at Hampton Court Palace in London. On completion of the Certificate I then continued with the RSN and graduated with a Distinction in the Diploma in 2021. This course included Silk Shading, Goldwork, Canvas Stitches, Whitework and Blackwork.
I am now specialising in counted thread techniques - Blackwork, Whitework and Canvaswork - you will see some examples of my work in the videos. I have also been involved in various textile groups where I have both extended my skills and shared them with others through talks and workshops. Currently I am a member of Textile Explorers in North West England.
After I had my children I trained to use a computer and qualified as a teacher of adults. I worked for many years at our local College as a Lecturer teaching practical IT skills using Microsoft Office to adults, many of them progressing to University.