Mass Transfer: Diffusion & Convection
- Mass & Energy Balances
- Basic Heat Transfer
- Basic Momentum Transfer
- Basic Transport Phenomena (Momentum, Heat)
Your Mass Transfer Unit Operation and Separation Process Career starts with the understanding of the phenomena occurring in the molecular level.
Understanding how equilibrium and diffusion helps mass transfer between phases will let you understand how several equipment works, such as Flashing Drums, Absorbers, Distillation Columns, Extractors, etc...
We will cover:
Introduction to Mass Transfer, its importance and role in Separation Processes
Diffusion: Fick's Law
The mathematical models required (flux equation, continuity equation, differential equation
Diffusion Coefficients: Estimation and Calculation via Correlations
Steady-State Diffusion: (equimolar counterflow diffusion, unimolecular diffusion)
Mass transfer coefficients
Dimensionless numbers: Reynolds, Sherwood, Prandtl, Nusselt, etc...
Laminar Flow Mass Transfer Models (Falling Film, Boundary Layers)
Turbulent Flow Mass Transfer Models
Fluid-Fluid Theory (Film, Penetration, Surface Renewal theories)
Interphase Theory (Two-film Theory + Overall Mass Transfer)
Counter-current & Cross-current Operation
All theory is backed with exercises, solved problems, and proposed problems for homework/individual study.
At the end of the course:
You will be able to understand mass transfer mechanism and processes which are required for further Equipment Design and Operation. You will be able to continue with a Mass Transfer Unit Operation Course and/or Separation Processes Course.
About your instructor:
I majored in Chemical Engineering with a minor in Industrial Engineering back in 2012.
I worked as a Process Design/Operation Engineer in INEOS Koln, mostly on the petrochemical area relating to naphtha treating. There I designed and modeled several processes relating separation of isopentane/pentane mixtures, catalytic reactors and separation processes such as distillation columns, flash separation devices and transportation of tank-trucks of product.
- Chemical Engineers refreshing their Mass Transfer and Separation Processes course
- Students on the relevant fields (chemical, mechanical, process engineering)
- Teachers / Professors requiring extra knowledge on Mass Transfer
- Course Requirements04:03
- Reference Material03:46
- Objectives & Goals03:44
- What are Mass Transfer Unit Operations?02:21
- What are Separation Processes?02:41
- Mass Transfer Mechanisms03:01
- Section Closure00:18
- Intro to Section 201:09
- Review of Properties17:04
- Log Mean Function (Review)02:43
- Continuity Equation (Review)02:55
- What is Flux?09:05
- What is Flux Ja?02:42
- Molecular vs. Bulk Velocity06:55
- Introduction to Molecular Diffusion03:08
- What is Molecular Diffusion?06:48
- Fick's Law04:56
- More on Fick's Law02:21
- Diffusivity Constant (overview)01:11
- Fick’s Law Proof: Dab = Dba07:25
- Applications of Diffusivity in Engineering03:21
- Diffusion Through Moving Bulk Fluid08:04
- Case A - Equimolar Counter-Difussion (EMD)06:45
- Exercise: EMD14:04
- Case B - Unimolecular Diffusion (UMD)16:27
- Exercise: UMD06:31
- Need more exercises?00:53
- Section Introduction00:53
- Diffusivity Constant03:31
- How to obtain Diffusivities (Dab)02:22
- Diffusivity in gases02:18
- Obtaining Diffusivity Coefficients in Literature04:00
- Empirical Estimations01:08
- Empirical Estimation - Fuller, Schettler and Giddings02:59
- Temperature Adjustment for Gas Diffusivity01:49
- Takahashi Model for high pressure Gases03:15
- Twin-Bulb Method (Experimental Estimation)04:11
- Exercise - Twin-Bulb Method08:47
- Stefan Tube Method (Experimental Estimation)04:10
- Diffusivity in Liquids00:59
- Empirical Estimations - liquids00:37
- Stokes-Einstein Equation00:38
- Wilke-Chang Equation02:17
- Diaphragm Cell Method (Experimental Estimation)04:03
- Bonus & Surprises!00:06
Hi there, I'm Emmanuel Ortega, aka Chemical Engineering Guy...
I've been in the Chemical Industry for about 3 years. I love applying all my knowledge learned in University to the Daily Engineering Life. From working in a Petrochemical Plant as a Process Plant Designer to working with textile material from Polyester Yarns; I could teach you a lot of how it is important to learn the Engineering subjects!
- Chemical Process Design
- Plant Design
- Heat Transfer Operations and Equipment Design
- Industrial Polyester Yarn
- Online Tutoring
Right now I'm preparing online material for Engineers all over the world. I have a dream in which online education will break all barriers and let Engineers all over the world learn easier and faster! Please join me in my quest!
The Courses I design are entirely dynamic. You will see theory and then apply it ASAP to a real life problem! I even use the books you are using right now in your engineering courses...
Hope to see you in any of the Courses I'm offering!