Manufacturing process selection and Design for manufacturing
- 3.5 hours on-demand video
- 14 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- The Criteria based on which a manufacturing process is selected for design
- Process compatibility to materials and shapes
- Comparison of processes based on tolerance and cost
- Difference in prototyping and production
- Case studies in process selection for design problems
- Design principles employed for designing forged parts
- Design principles employed in Design of Casted parts
- Design principles used in design of Injection molded plastic parts
- Basic understanding of the various mainstream manufacturing processes and a familiarity with mechanical design
Design for manufacturing or DFM is a very important practical activity in Mechanical design engineering.
Converting concept into designs which can be manufactured and ready for implementation is a key skill in product development.
This course attempts to cover the basics of designing for manufacturing including selecting a suitable process based on various criteria and designing for the process to reduce cost and improve ease of manufacturing .
Topics covered are
Importance of Process selection
Parameters and Criteria for selection
Comparison of processes
Process- Shape matrix
Section wall thickness and Tolerance ranges
Part complexity and part cost
Prototyping vs production
Case studies in process selection
Designing for Forging - principles and guidelines
Designing for Casting - principles and guidelines
Design for Injection Molding - Principles and guidelines.
Exercises to practice
The learning outcome of this course is to develop a strong basic comparative understanding of various processes and get started with designing as per certain processes to build DFM skills for mechanical design & product development.
Course will be best suitable for Mechanical design engineers who want to level up their DFM knowledge and skills .
- Mechanical design engineering aspirants and professionals who want to level up their DFM skills