Management: Essential Skills for First Time Managers
What you'll learn
- Upon completion of this course, students will be familiar with the responsibilities and challenges of being a manager. Students will be familiar with the five main roles a good manager.
- In addition, will have a good understanding of how to communicate effectively with colleagues and senior managers.
- Students in this course will learn how to conduct SWOT and STEP analyses to both shape both the company culture and address challenges.
- Students will be familiar with the seven aspects of management that should be invested in. Students will also know how to keep calm under pressure while helping employees get through difficult situations.
- This course qualifies for 4.00 PDU credit hours toward the PMP® certification from PMI.
- No prerequisites for this course - A computer with Internet
Welcome to Management 101: Essential Skills for First Time Managers from LearnSmart.
LearnSmart is Project Management Institute (PMI)® Global Registered Education Provider (REP 3577). This course qualifies for the above credit hours toward the PMP® or CAMP® training contact hours or toward maintaining your current certification. Thus meeting the Professional Development Unit (PDU) requirement necessary to continue their PMP® Certification or for experienced project managers wanting to brush up on their education.
If you're interested in becoming an accomplished project manager, this training will give you valuable real-life project management techniques. Learn the skills you need to be an effective project manager - this course qualifies for 4.00 PDU credit hours toward your PMP® certification from PMI®.
Become an expert manager as you learn about the different responsibilities you have as a manager – such as project manager, coach, and leader – and the duties you'll have to perform. You'll start with a full introduction to management, how to lead and communicate as a manager, how to successfully and effectively make an impact as a manager, and the best ways to take control as a manager.
Section 1: In the pre-assessment quiz you'll face questions from all sections of this project management training. Test your current knowledge and know your strengths and weaknesses.
Section 2: Discover how to be successful, you'll have to establish your authority and make good decisions by following the seven step decision-making process. You will learn how to schedule time for personal development, and to analyze tasks you and your team must complete using the important/urgent matrix. Additionally, you'll also consider how your employees learn, and consider how to respond to drivers and resistors to change. Overall, you will be better equipped as a new manager.
Section 3: Aside from adapting to a new role with increased responsibilities, new managers must learn to be leaders and explore how to communicate effectively with employees, fellow managers, and senior executives. Learn the five primary leadership roles that managers serve in business. Go through discussions about leading teams concentrating on how to lead them, about how to know when your team is being effective, and about the different stages of team development. Study how communication works and principles for chairing a meeting.
Section 4: Making an Impact as a Manager is designed to help new managers lead their employees and companies on to bigger and better things. Understand corporate strategy and identify exactly what it does; and find explanations on how to use a SWOT analysis to shape the company's culture. You will discover the importance of doing a STEP analysis to provide a framework for addressing obstacles, as well as go through discussions on the ways to improve operations and the three E's to examine performance. Gain 10 tips for improving employee commitment, empowerment, and retention to formulate an excellent team through which you can increase efficiency and impact.
Section 5: Taking Control as a Manager is designed to help new managers understand how to relate to fellow managers and other employees and how to deal with the pressures that come with the position. You will look at the seven aspects of management to invest in and different things you can do as a new manager to help win your team over; discuss performance management and using budget as a tool of control; go through the steps you can take to help employees overcome their insecurities and feel more comfortable on the job; and understand the common causes of managerial stress and strategies to overcome them. You will also learn the best practices to maintain control of your department.
Section 6: As a short Final Exam, these questions ties all the above sections in a quick review of key concepts.
Learn from others! Here are some reviews from the participants enrolled in this course (Click on reviews to see full list of reviews)
- Smart method to learn - This course is helpful and using smart way to motivate thinking and understanding. The instructor has a professional delivery method, and the he materials are interesting and creative specially the flashcards and the exercises -- Ibrahim Alsayed
- This course is of high quality - This course will let you become a PMP and CAMP master and it will explain you every concept. The instructor is highly engaging and highly motivating. Can't be better. Thank you -- Saber Tlili
- Excellent class! -- I already have my PMP, but wish I had this class as a study tool prior to taking the test. I am confident that a person who studies the materials presented in this course should have no problem with the exam. I took the class for the PDUs to keep my certification up. On completion of the class I followed the instructions, and had no problem registering the credits with PMI -- Robert Vroom
PMI, PMP, and CAMP are a registered trademarks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Who this course is for:
- Professionals looking to deepen their understanding of human resource and management responsibilities, and how to effectively do them.
- Existing project managers wishing to get certified in recognition of their skills and experience, or others who wish to train to become accredited project managers.
LearnSmart has served the learning community with high-quality professional skills and IT certification training since 1997. In that time, the company has helped thousands earn career-related certifications from respected vendors, such as Project Management Institute (PMI)®, Cisco, Microsoft, CompTIA, Oracle, and. LearnSmart offers over 1,000 courses covering IT, project management, administrative, HR, and workplace safety topics. With a rapidly growing clientele of individuals and corporations, LearnSmart serves a broad range of Fortune 500 companies to universities, as well as government institutions and the armed forces.
LearnSmart is able to meet diverse career and learning needs through its extensive selection of training. LearnSmart uses industry experts to give learners the most up-to-date content in a video format as well as training resources including; reference tools, pretests, study guides and labs. For more information about how we can help pinpoint and solve your individual or multi-user training challenges.
PMI is a registered trademark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.