Malware Analysis Of Malicious Documents
What you'll learn
- Analyzing Malicious Documents
- Analyzing Malicious PDF documents
- Analyzing Malicious Microsoft documents
- Install Remnux Virtual Machine
- Extracting document Meta-Data
- Basic Linux Commands Used in Malware Analysis
- Extracting VBA Macro Scripts from Office Documents
- Automating Analysis of Documents
- Viewing and Debugging Malicious Office Macros
- Identifying Maker and Origin of Malicious Documents
- Using Yara to Identify Malicious Patterns and Signatures
- Analyzing Open Office XML Format Documents
- Analyzing Structured Storage Format Documents
- Estimating age and date of document creation
- Analyzing powershell scripts
- Detecting Malware Artifacts and Indicators of Compromise
- and more...
- Windows PC
- Interest in Malware Analysis
- Basic Linux knowledge helpful but not strictly necessary
Did you know that you could infect your computer just by opening a pdf or microsoft office document? If that came as a shocker for you then you need to take this course. Documents are one of the main vector of attacks for malware authors because of their widespread use. Everyone uses documents to create reports, memos and articles. In fact everything we do for communication involves the use of documents. That is why this is a very popular way to infect computers. Documents are used as the first stage of a malware attack. Embedded in documents are scripts that will download a second stage payload consisting of additional malware, eg ransomware, remote access tools and more.
In this course, you will learn how to check and analyze malicious pdf and office documents for signs of malicious artifacts and indicators of compromise. This is a beginners course and targeted to those who are absolutely new to this field. I will take you from zero to proficient level in analyzing malicious documents. You will learn using plenty of practical walk-throughs. We will learn the basic knowledge and skills in analyzing documents. All the needed tools and where to download them will be provided. By the end of this course, you will have the fundamentals of malware analysis of documents under your belt to further your studies in this field. Even if you do not intend to take up malware analysis as a career, still the knowledge and skills gained would enable you to check documents for dangers and protect yourself from these attacks.
We will use remnux and windows virtual machine. Remnux is a Debian-based linux distribution that contains all the necessary tools for malware analysis. Some background on linux would be helpful but not strictly necessary. We will also install document debuggers in a windows virtual machine. Then, I will show you how to get started with the very basic tools in remnux and windows. All the essential theory will be covered but kept to the minimum. The emphasis is on practicals and lab exercises.
Go ahead and enroll now and I will see you inside.
Who this course is for:
- Beginners to Malware Analysis
- Students embarking on career path to become Malware Analysts
- Anyone eager to learn how to know if a document is malicious
I am a semi-retired college lecturer with more than 20 years experience in teaching computing and information technology. My interests range from reversing, coding to graphics design, apps, games development, music, health, spirituality and well-being. In my spare time, I also play the piano and keyboard. I enjoy teaching face-to-face and online and also love educating and inspiring others to succeed and live the life of their dreams.