Make Music with Code: Complete Guide to Coding with Sonic Pi
What you'll learn
- Gain a deep understanding of the fundamentals of coding and program flow.
- Learn how to generate, create, record and perform music with Sonic Pi.
- Use synths, samples, filters and envelopes in code to enhance your sound design repertoire.
- Use Sonic Pi's randomisation function to create generative music.
- Take the knowledge gained in this course and be able to create entire musical compositions using code as your instrument.
- No programming experience required. Access to a PC, Mac or Raspberry Pi will allow you to follow along.
- All software used in the course is available as a free download.
Aimed at musicians with little or no coding experience, this fun course will teach you how to compose and perform music using code as your instrument. Based on the free Sonic Pi framework, popular in the Algorave scene, you'll cover everything from the very basics of programming to using Sonic Pi for live performance, including writing a drum sequencer. Later in the course, you'll even learn how to integrate your code with MIDI & audio instruments.
With four hours of video split across fifty lectures, you will find detailed descriptions and demonstrations of:
How to create music by coding musical patterns with synths and samples.
Fundamental programming concepts, including program flow and Sonic Pi's built-in data structures.
Creating a drum sequencer, looping melodies, chord progressions and bass lines from scratch.
How to use filters and ADSR envelopes for code-based sound design.
How to add effects such as distortion, delay and reverb to make your sounds more interesting.
How to control MIDI and audio from your code.
How to use the features of Sonic Pi to enhance your live performances.
We'll be using the free Sonic Pi throughout the course, and by the end, you'll be able to apply what you've learned to create unique musical compositions and perform live using code. As you’ll see, anyone can learn to program. We take each new concept step-by-step, and it’s easier than you think, even if you have absolutely no prior coding experience!
Who this course is for:
- Musicians wishing to gain some knowledge of programming, to use code as an instrument for composition, recording and live performance.
Steve is a sound designer, software engineer and author with over two decades of professional experience. He is an experienced teacher and has taught numerous courses both online and in-person.
He lives with his family in a remote farmhouse in mid-Wales, UK, where he doesn't have to worry about soundproofing or neighbours!