Make a horror survival game in Unity
What you'll learn
- Use post processing to create amazing graphics
- Create a unique horror survival game in Unity 2021
- Easy to understand coding activities
- Create intelligent AI
- Create combat mechanics for melee, guns and throwing weapons
- Use a custom load screen
- Create a main menu
- Create an interactive inventory menu
- Learn how to make AAA games in Unity
- Beginner Level project and Intermediate Level project included
- It would be good to have a basic understanding of Unity. You do not need any coding experience as I will cover C# coding in detail
- The game is very detailed and in order to follow along with the project you will need a fast computer that meets the following minimum specifications
- PC or Mac with at least a 2.5GHz processor
- At least 4GB RAM
- At least 10GB available space on your Hard Drive
- Video Graphics Card with at least 2GB onboard RAM
- My computer Specs when creating this tutorial:
- Windows 10, i7 processor 4GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidea Geforce 1070 graphics card with 8GB RAM
- This allows me to get 60fps in the game, however, even at 30fps the game runs fine.
Do you want to create a professional looking horror survival game in Unity? Well you've found the right course. This is aimed at anybody who loves game design and wants to make awesome games.
My name is Pete Jepson and I have taught game design for over 9 years. In this series we will be making a first person survival game where you try to survive on an Island overrun by zombies. You are looking for a vaccine before your infection level reaches 100 and you become one of the undead.
In this 2022 updated version of the course I will be using intermediate level coding to give you professional skills in game design. If you are completely new to Unity, you will be pleased to know that the older beginner level version of this course is still available in the later sections. That means you can complete the beginner level and then move onto the intermediate level. It’s like buying two courses for the price of one.
You will need a powerful computer to complete this project, so please ensure your computer meets the minimum specifications
So, what's in the course?
We start by creating the AAA post processing visuals to establish a night time look for the game. The enviornment map and props are free to download and you can use them in any game you decide to create.We also add a nightvision camera with zoom lens.
We then create an interactive inventory menu that allows you to carry multiple pickup items and weapons. We also add the ability to combine items into new weapons, such as a makeshift flamethrower, using a spray can and lighter, and a molotov cocktail grenade.
The melee weapons drain your stamina levels as you use them, so you have to use strategy when attacking enemies. You may need enough stamina to run to safety. Guns can also be picked up, but they make enough sound to attract large zombie armies to descened on your position, so make sure you have enough ammo left to escape
Then we will import zombie characters, which are free to use in this project and any other project you want to create. We develop an animation flow using mecanim, which will create a wide variation of types of zombies.
We will work on navigation path finding and artifical intelligence, allowing the zombies to make their own decisions on where to go and what to do. Once the zombies detect you, they will discover their own different ways to hunt you down!
We add spawning systems for the characters, creating the illusion of an infinite amount of zombies, while ensuring we optimise the system so it will run easily on any computer system.
We create a door open and close system and also a door locking system. Some doors require that you find a key to unlock them. Exploring the map then becomes necessary to complete the game.
We finally work on a main menu and loading screen.
By the end of this course you will have a completed horror survival game which you can export out as a finished product. You will have developed the skills, confidence and understanding of how to make your own games in Unity.
So why not enrol today and I look forward to seeing you in my course.
This course includes the following free assets:
Free horror environment 3D scene
Free weapons from Sketchfab
Free realistic animated zombie characters
Free sounds and music
Free music by Bensound
Who this course is for:
- This course is aimed at anyone who wants to make awesome games in Unity
- Creative game designers will enjoy the course
- I make the coding very easy, so it should be fun, even for people who are put off by C# coding
- All user levels of Unity, from beginners to advanced will learn something from this tutorial
- There are a range of fun activities to help you make the game your own throughout development
- There is now intermediate level coding for people wanting to further develop their skills
I am a qualified teacher and I have been teaching game design for over 9 years. I have been using Unity since 2013 and I have produced a series of courses showing people how to create games and animations using this game engine.
With over 40,000 students from over 157 Countries around the world, my courses are helping people learn and create at the same time.
I am completely dedicated to helping you on your learning journey. If you have any questions or require any help I am always available and will respond quickly.