Lock out and tag out safety
What you'll learn
- The definition and the purpose of lock out & tag out (LOTO) in any process industries
- The steps and methods of achieving safety from the system to be worked on
- The sequence of isolation and normalization of equipment in process industires
- Practical means for achieving safety from the system to be worked on
- Roles and responsibilities of the personnel involved in LOTO
- General rules to be followed in achieving safety from the system
- Safe removal of locks and tags after the work is completed
- Basic industrial knowledge, in relation to energy sources in process industry
- Basic knowledge on industrial safety
- Preferably some technical knowledge on process industries
Chapter-1 gives an introduction of the session on lock and tag out.
In chapter-2, I have explained where exactly the lockout and tag out falls in the hierarchy of safety controls. Also I explained about the purpose of lock and tag out.
Chapter-3 describes about the definition of lock and tag out, sequence of achieving lock and tag out, some of the hazards that are prevailing in industries.
In chapter-4, the contents of an isolation tag, release of residual stored energy and typical risks due to a hazard are explained.
Chapter-5 elaborates about the energy isolation process.
Chapter-6 talks about the importance of sequence of isolation and normalisation and few sequence of isolation commonly followed in industries
Chapter-7 illustrates about some more sequence of isolation used in industries.
Chapter-8, explains about sequence of normalization, ways to confirm zero energy importance of verification of isolation, procedure for test and re- commissioning.
In Chapter-9 , the practical ways and means of achieving safety from pipelines electrical isolation and procedures for bypassing safety systems are explained
In chapter-10, some of the positive isolation devices that are used , where there is no provision of lock is there.
In chapter-11, the personnel involved in lock and tag out procedures are defined with their roles and responsibilities.
In chapter-12, steps involved in Energy isolation are mentioned. Also the chapter explains how to confirm safe isolation. Why lock out/ tag out fails is also mentioned.
In chapter-13, some of the general rules in lock out and tag out are elaborated.
Chapter-14 discusses safe removal of lockout, restoration of energy and conditions for special removal.
Chapter-15 summarises the lessons learned from all sessions and adds a conclusion.
Who this course is for:
- This LOTO course can help for both beginners and also at intermediate levels as a fresher or refresher course on LOTO
I am Occupational Health and Safety professional with 35 years of experience in managing occupational Health & Safety in Various industries such as Power Industry, Gas industry and Datacenter business, across the globe, with Multi-National Companies. An Electrical Engineer with NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety and MBA in Safety Management. A lead auditor for ISO 45001, ISO 14001 and ISO 9001 standards. Delivered several lectures at Alain University and National Safety council approved instructor. I have won several awards internationally for the employer. My plan is to enhance the knowledge on safety for the beginners. I am sure, my courses will be helpful to the learners. Please send me your feedback to improve the contents and the method of delivery of the courses