Set up a localhost Web Server for Faster Website Development
What you'll learn
- Install and configure a local web server on your computer
- Learn why it's faster and easier to develop websites on a local web server
- Develop multiple websites in virtual servers instead of in subfolders
- Develop websites without an internet connection
- Use phpMyAdmin to create a local database and configure access to it
- Configure the Apache web server using .htaccess files
- Install WordPress
- You should be comfortable installing software on your computer
- Although you don't need to know HTML, you should be familiar with the basic concepts of how websites work
- You should be comfortable editing text files
Install and configure a web server on your computer so you can develop websites faster and more easily.
Quickly set up all the Software you need to Develop Websites Locally in this comprehensive course.
- Install a web server, PHP, database server and phpMyAdmin
- Learn how web addresses work and how to use them locally
- Develop multiple websites in the root instead of in subfolders
- Learn how to configure Apache using .htaccess files
- Create a new local database
- Install WordPress
Set up your Computer for Faster and Easier Web Development
Developing websites is easier and faster if you do it locally, using a web server installed on your computer. All web developers develop locally first, before copying their work to a live web server.
By installing and configuring a local web development environment, you'll be able to create your website more quickly and even work when offline.
You'll also learn how to develop multiple websites on the same web server, each in the root instead of creating each one in a subfolder.
Content and Overview
Suitable for web developers of all levels, this course will take you through all the steps required to install and configure a complete web development environment on your computer.
This short course will get you up and running quickly. Starting with the basic concepts, first you'll install the necessary software, then start configuring it for the best results. You'll learn how to configure the web server so that you can develop multiple websites alongside each other, instead of all in one folder.
Where necessary, different videos for Windows, Mac and Linux are provided so that you can get the most out of the course whatever platform you use.
You'll learn how to set up a website with a local web address, configure the web server using special files called .htaccess files, create and grant access to a database, and also install WordPress locally if you need it.
At the end of this course, you'll have a fully working web development environment on your computer, ready to start creating your own websites.
What else will you get?
- All code and resources shown in the videos
- Work alongside the instructor
- A verifiable certificate of completion upon finishing the course
- Access to the instructor at all times to ask for help with any topic related to the course
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who is developing a website or web application
- Anyone who wants to know how to develop websites faster and more easily
- Experienced web developers who want to know how to use virtual hosts instead of developing each site in a subfolder
Hi, I'm Dave Hollingworth. I'm an IT trainer and web application developer. I've been programming for over thirty years, and teaching IT since 1999.
I've developed enterprise-level applications on platforms ranging from mainframes to mobiles: from my first web application, a quotes system created for a major insurance company back in 1999 - the first of its type in the sector - to interactive learning management systems for online language learning.
I've taught courses ranging from basic use of email to advanced web application development, both online and in-person. I've been teaching on Udemy since 2012.
I'm passionate about technology, and love teaching it! I believe it's possible to explain even the most complex subjects in a simple, straightforward way that doesn't confuse the student.
I look forward to welcoming you onto one of my courses!