How to Use Lighting Design to Transform your Home
- 2 hours on-demand video
- 8 articles
- 21 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Use 3 layers of light to create a cohesive and dramatic lighting scheme in any room of their home.
- Calculate exactly how much artificial light each of their rooms need.
- Effectively utilize and control both natural and artificial light in their home.
- Select light fixtures appropriate to the type of room.
- Place lighting fixtures appropriately throughout their room.
- Hide unsightly electrical cords from table and floor lamps.
- Create a simplified professional lighting plan.
- Use artificial light to alter the intensity of colors in their room.
- Use artificial light to make a room appear larger or smaller than it is.
- Use artificial light to create a focal point in their room.
- Students should have some paper and a pen or pencil ready for the activities.
- Students should have access to a printer so they can print out the resources related to the class activities.
- Students should come ready to engage themselves fully in a comprehensive training on lighting design.
Have you ever wondered how much light a room really needs?
Have you struggled with determining the right size light fixtures for the various spaces in your home?
Have you ever wondered how interior designers make a room look so much more dramatic through the use of lighting?
If you've ever asked yourself any of these questions, then I encourage you to check out this class! "Lighting Design to Transform your home" is a course focused exclusively on residential lighting design. More specifically, in this class we will cover the following main topics:
3 great lighting tricks!
Why is lighting so important?
How to calculate the correct lumens for your rooms, including rooms with high ceilings or dark walls
How to effectively use and control both artificial and natural light in your home
How to use 3 layers of light to elevate your lighting design
How to choose the right type of light fixtures based on the function of your room
How to choose the right size light fixtures
How to install your light fixtures appropriately in your home
How to hide unsightly table and floor lamp cords
Use lighting to alter the intensity of colors in your room
Use lighting to make your room appear larger or smaller than it is
Use lighting to create a focal point in your room
There are also some fantastic, practical activities in this course:
By participating in activities throughout this course, I will walk you through how to build your own customized lighting design scheme for any room in your home.
To complement the work you will be doing on your lighting scheme, I will also teach you how to create a simplified professional lighting plan.
At the end of this course, you will put your newfound knowledge to work when you are given a hands-on opportunity to improve the lighting in 2 case studies.
This is a great course for all levels of individuals who are interested in learning more about how to effectively build their own residential lighting plan. This could also be a great class for interior design students or professionals who are new to the field.
Join me for an adventure into the world of lighting design!
If you are interested in taking most or all of my courses, I have a recommended order in which to watch them (although it's certainly not required). I would start with "How to Design a Room in 10 Easy Steps" because most of my other courses are in-depth classes of the concepts touched on in this 10 step class. Following the 10 Step Course, I suggest moving on to "How to Use Color Like a Pro", followed by "How to Work with Interior Design Styles Like a Pro", then "How to Use Lighting Design to Transform your Home", and finally "Design is in the Details". My other courses, "How to Use Minimalist Interior Design to Live your Best Life", "Use Eco-friendly, Sustainable Design to Improve Your Life", and "How to Design Your Dream Kitchen" are all stand alone classes on specialty topics within interior design, and therefore, can be taken in any order.
Please be aware that this course, or any of my courses, is not intended to provide all of the knowledge needed to become a professional interior designer. As with any professional field, there is a significant amount of education and/or experience that is needed to achieve competency in this field. My intention with these courses is to provide some solid foundational knowledge to assist either those individuals interested in "DIY" interior design to work on their own projects more effectively, or to provide supplemental education to both interior design students and professionals.
- This is a great course for anyone interested in taking their home's lighting design to the next level.
- This course could also be a great supplemental educational course for interior design students or those new to the interior design field.
Take a few minutes to listen to this lecture, which will tell you exactly what you'll be learning in this course.
Lighting can be used in so many different ways to make your room look fabulous! Listen to this short lecture to learn about 3 great lighting tricks that interior designers regularly to create beautiful residential lighting schemes.
Beyond its basic functional purpose, learn why lighting is so important to you and your home.
In perhaps the most technical lecture of the course, in this video you will learn how designers determine exactly how much light a room needs. You will also be able to access some great resources (for both imperial and metric users) to help you in your own calculations.
In this lecture, I will show you how you can use lighting to help you room to appear larger or smaller than it actually is.