Level 2 Intelligence Analyst Certification
What you'll learn
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills to reduce bias and other mental errors
- Overcome negative thinking that can thwart objective analysis
- Understand the need to structure analysis
- Identify major factors and characterize the underlying causal and affected factors
- Select and apply specific analytic techniques to produce explanative intelligence to identify "why" events happen
- Students will need to have a foundation in critical thinking, be familiar with problem restatement techniques, conduct independent research, gather and evaluate evidence, and reevaluate previous conclusions.
- Successfully completing Level 1 Intelligence Analyst Certification is a prerequisite for this course.
The views expressed in this course are the instructor's alone and do not reflect the official position of the U.S. Government, the Intelligence Community, or the Department of Defense.
This course builds on the Level 1 Intelligence Analyst Certification course for descriptive analysis. One cannot explain why events occurred, if one does not first know what events occurred. Explanative intelligence interprets current events. It seeks to explain an adversary’s behavior, answer the question “why,” and establish causal relationships. Thus, students in this course should hold a Level 1 certification and be experienced descriptive intelligence analysts. Likewise, as the graduates of the Level 2 course gain experience and expertise they become ready for the Level 3 course and are ready to produce predictive intelligence analysis.
Who this course is for:
- This course is designed for the mid-level intelligence analyst who has experience providing basic, logically sound, descriptive intelligence and wants to begin producing explanative analysis.
- This course is not for the beginner.
I have a 34-year combat-proven track record of tactical, operational, and strategic expertise in intelligence analysis and operations; communications and information technology; and special operations. I'm a graduate of and former instructor at the USAF Weapons School. I earned a Master of Science in Strategic Intelligence (MSSI) from the National Intelligence University and am a published author on intelligence analysis. I currently work as a senior consultant for PatchPlus Consulting, Inc.