Java 8 OCA (1Z0-808) Course
What you'll learn
- Java Basics - scope, class structure, Java features, identifiers and reserved words.
- Working with Java Data Types - primitives, wrappers, operators, String immutability, StringBuilder
- Controlling Program Flow - conditional (if/switch), loops (while/do-while/for), break, continue.
- Working with Methods and Encapsulation - static, constructors, access modifiers, call-by-value.
- Java Object Oriented Approach - inheritance, overloading/overriding, polymorphism, abstract, constructors, upcasting/downcasting, interfaces, enums, instanceof
- Exception Handling - try/catch/finally, try-with-resources, suppressing exceptions, exception signatures and inheritance, custom exceptions
- Arrays - declaring, initialising, anonymous arrays, reference assignments, 2D arrays, arrays with wrappers
- Working with Selected classes from the Java API - ArrayLists, Lamba expressions, Predicate Lambdas, Calendar Data manipulation
This course is a systematic approach to the Oracle Java 8 1Z0-808 (OCA) Certification exam. All of the topics on the syllabus on Oracles website are covered.
Working with Java Data Types
Controlling Program Flow
Working with Methods and Encapsulation
Java Object Oriented Approach
Working with Selected classes from the Java API
I have included 45+ (more coming) Oracle style multiple choice questions as part of the course. These come from the excellent Enthuware tool. Each question contains a video explaining the answer. This course started out as a Java 11 course (1Z0-819) and as a result many of the questions are from the Enthuware Java 11 question bank. However, I have removed the Java 11 specific questions and left only questions relating to Java 8 OCA. Note: I have not removed some questions which trivially use the "var" keyword (introduced in Java 10) - I have included a comment on these lines to explain the Java 8 equivalent, so that you can answer the question.
As well as using an IDE to explain concepts, I use a whiteboard wherever I can. I find it an excellent learning tool; particularly around the topics of:
Java objects versus references
String and wrapper-class immutability
Inheritance - upcasting, downcasting, ClassCastExceptions (why they occur)
I am a lecturer since 2002 and I have taught the OCA (and OCP) syllabus since 2013 on behalf of a highly regarded software company. On completion of my training, graduates then face the company's own internal Java Certification exam (similar in style to Oracle's). I have no visibility into the questions they will face. It is a 3 hour long intensive exam. The company are delighted with the pass rate (100% since year 1).
I love teaching and this course has all my experience in explaining the critical fundamental concepts of Java. In addition, I have a strong attention to detail which lends itself perfectly to the Oracle Java Certification exams. I am delighted that Enthuware, in their explanations, have linked to my YouTube channel.
Who this course is for:
- Beginner Java developers interested in learning the fundamentals with the help of diagrams.
- Anyone interested in getting the Java 8 Oracle 1Z0-808 (OCA) Certification exam.
Hi, Seán here from Let's Get Certified. I worked in industry for 13 years in FinTech and Telecoms. I have been a lecturer since 2002 and have a PhD in IT. I am OCA and OCP certified. I have taught the OCA/OCP syllabii since 2013 on a Level 9 Masters course for a highly regarded software company. Enthuware link to my YouTube channel in their explanations.