Learn geographic information systems (GIS) with QGIS
- 2.5 hours on-demand video
- 2 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Understand the basic features that a GIS offers
- Articulate the difference between raster and vector data sources
- Utilize QGIS to perform raster, vector, and database manipulation
- Students should be comfortable with using computers
- Students should have a basic understanding of what a GIS is
- Students should download QGIS from the qgis website
Are you interested in gaining skills in the growing field of geographic information science? Are you already a GIS professional but want to learn how to use a powerful free and open source GIS product? If so, this course is for you.
In this course, I'm going to teach you how to use Quantum GIS (better known as QGIS) to perform GIS tasks to solve spatial problems. Working alongside me you will be introduced to the QGIS interface, and you will then engage in real-world projects to use QGIS for solving vector, raster, and database problems. And for those of you looking to learn how to present cartographically aesthetic map products, I'm going to show you how to use the QGIS Composer applications.
Finally, after being introduced to the basics of QGIS, working on some real world problems, and making your final maps, I will show you how to put your spatial data on the Internet for the world to see.
I've been teaching GIS for over 20 years, and while I can't come to your house and teach you, these videos are the best way to have me work along side you. So, find a comfortable place to hide away, and after a weekend with these materials, you'll be able to successfully use QGIS within a professional setting.
- This course is for students who want to learn what a GIS is, and how it can be used to solve spatial problems.
- This course is also for GIS professionals who know how to use other GIS software, but want to learn how to use QGIS
This lecture introduces you to the course, and also contains a link for all the material you will need. Simply download the .zip file and open it into a directory.
While your training in this QGIS class is over, your learning is just beginning. There is a large and helpful open source community out there that you can participate in. In this short lecture, we'll talk about where to go next to increase your skills with open source GIS, and also help others to learn to use it.