What you'll learn
- How to Install and configure Salt.
- How Salt communicates between machines.
- The difference and distinction between the various Salt module types.
- How and why to use execution modules.
- Understand Salt’s state system.
- Write and manage complex states.
- Run complex state trees that span multiple systems.
- Use and react to real-time events across an infrastructure.
- Integrate Salt with other tools, both internal and external.
- Some exposure to IT automation and configuration management tasks would be useful but not necessary.
SaltStack automates the management and configuration of any infrastructure or application at scale. It provides an arsenal of tools to execute commands across thousands of systems with ease.
Learning Saltstack will start from scratch and build towards a high-level goal of installing, configuring, deploying, and managing a web application to Docker containers across multiple systems behind a HAProxy load balancer. The course will start by explaining how Salt approaches System management and help the viewer get up and running with a working Salt infrastructure. You will learn how to use Salt to target, query, and change systems.
You will learn to define the desired state of your infrastrucrture and how you can use Salt to enforce the state with a single command. The course will dive deeper into YAML and Jinja and show you the best practices for writing reusable and maintainable states. Finally, you will learn about some of the additional tools that salt provides, including salt-cloud, the reactor, and the event system.
By the end of the course, you would be able to build and manage your infrastructure and fully utilize its potential.
About the Author
Seth House has been involved in the Salt community for five years and has worked at SaltStack for four years. He wrote the salt-api and also contributed to many core parts of Salt. He has collaborated with the Salt community and started the Salt Formulas organization. Seth has given over thirty Introductions, Presentations, Training at user groups and conferences and Created tutorials on Salt well for Companies. He has designed and helped fine-tune Salt deployments at companies all across the United States.
Who this course is for:
- This course targets IT professionals, system admins, and DevOps teams looking to effectively deploy and manage their infrastructure with Salt.
Packt has been committed to developer learning since 2004. A lot has changed in software since then - but Packt has remained responsive to these changes, continuing to look forward at the trends and tools defining the way we work and live. And how to put them to work.
With an extensive library of content - more than 4000 books and video courses -Packt's mission is to help developers stay relevant in a rapidly changing world. From new web frameworks and programming languages, to cutting edge data analytics, and DevOps, Packt takes software professionals in every field to what's important to them now.
From skills that will help you to develop and future proof your career to immediate solutions to every day tech challenges, Packt is a go-to resource to make you a better, smarter developer.
Packt Udemy courses continue this tradition, bringing you comprehensive yet concise video courses straight from the experts.