Learning Path: Unity: VR Development with Unity 5
What you'll learn
- Create 3D scenes with Unity and Blender
- Develop and run VR applications for consumer headsets including Google Cardboard
- Experiment with various User Interface (UI) techniques that you can use in your VR applications
- Implement the first-person and third-person experiences that use only head motion gestures for input
- Build multi-user social VR experiences
- Gain introductory and advanced experience in Unity programming with the C# language
- Basic knowledge of Unity would be beneficial although not necessary.
- A computer with the Unity software installed
- The access to a virtual reality head-mounted display (HMD) will help you try out your builds and get first-hand experience of the projects developed in this Learning Path.
Are you are interested in Virtual Reality (VR) and want to learn how it works? Or do you want to create your own VR experiences? If yes, this Learning Path is just right for you.
Packt’s Video Learning Paths are a series of individual video products put together in a logical and stepwise manner such that each video builds on the skills learned in the video before it.
Unity 5 has emerged to become the leader in building Virtual Reality games and applications for different platforms.
This Learning Path takes a practical, project-based approach to teach you about the specifics of VR development with the Unity 3D game engine. You will explore the technical considerations that are important and possibly unique to VR. The projects in this Learning Path will demonstrate how to build a variety of VR experiences. The projects will increase in complexity as the Learning Path progresses and will help you make the transition to a pro VR developer with Unity 5.
By the end of the Learning Path, you’ll be able to develop rich, interactive virtual reality experiences using Unity.
About the Author:
For this course, we have combined the best works of this esteemed author:
Jonathan Linowes is the owner of Parkerhill Reality Labs, a start-up VR/AR consultancy firm. He is a veritable VR and 3D graphics enthusiast, full-stack web developer, software engineer, successful entrepreneur, and teacher. He has a fine arts degree from Syracuse University and a master's degree from the MIT Media Lab. He has founded several successful start-ups and held technical leadership positions at major corporations, including Autodesk Inc. He is also the author of two other books from Packt Publishing, Unity Virtual Reality Projects (2015) and Cardboard VR Projects for Android (2016).
Who this course is for:
- This Learning Path is aimed at people who want to learn the techniques of virtual reality and create their own VR experiences.
- You don’t need to be a programmer or familiar with 3D computer graphics.
- Game developers who already know how to use Unity will discover another dimension of how to blend Unity with VR.
Packt has been committed to developer learning since 2004. A lot has changed in software since then - but Packt has remained responsive to these changes, continuing to look forward at the trends and tools defining the way we work and live. And how to put them to work.
With an extensive library of content - more than 4000 books and video courses -Packt's mission is to help developers stay relevant in a rapidly changing world. From new web frameworks and programming languages, to cutting edge data analytics, and DevOps, Packt takes software professionals in every field to what's important to them now.
From skills that will help you to develop and future proof your career to immediate solutions to every day tech challenges, Packt is a go-to resource to make you a better, smarter developer.
Packt Udemy courses continue this tradition, bringing you comprehensive yet concise video courses straight from the experts.