Learning Path: C++ Game Programming
What you'll learn
- Get to know C++ from scratch while simultaneously learning game building
- Learn the basics of C++, such as variables, loops, and functions, to animate game objects, respond to collisions, keep the score, play sound effects, and build your first playable game.
- Use more advanced C++ topics such as classes, inheritance, and references to spawn and control thousands of enemies, shoot with a rapid fire machine gun, and realize random scrolling game worlds
- Stretch your C++ knowledge beyond the beginner level and use concepts such as pointers, references, and the Standard Template Library to add features—for example, split-screen co-op, immersive directional sound, and custom levels loaded from level-design files
- Get ready to go and build your own unique games!
- Basic prior knowledge of game development and C is recommended, but not required.
Are you looking to learn C++ from scratch and simultaneously build stunning and interactive games?
Explore this Learning Path and you'll get what you're looking for. Start as an amateur and rise as a pro by taking this Learning Path.
This Learning Path is a fun journey to the world of game programming starting from the very basics of C++ such as OOP, pointers, introduction to the Standard Template Library, and finally building OpenGL-powered SFML fully-playable complex games.
These games are an addictive frantic two-button tapper, a multi-level zombie survival shooter, and a split-screen multiplayer puzzle-platformer.
You will explore exciting game programming concepts such as particle effects, directional sound, OpenGL programmable Shaders, spawning thousands of objects, and more.
Packt’s Video Learning Paths are a series of individual video products put together in a logical and stepwise manner such that each video builds on the skills learned in the video before it.
John Horton is a coding and gaming enthusiast based in the UK. He has a passion for writing apps, games, books, and blog articles about programming, especially for beginners. He is the founder of Game Code School , which is dedicated to helping complete beginners get started with coding using the language and platform that is best suited for them. John sincerely believes that anyone can learn to code and that everybody has a game or an app inside of them, and that they just need to do enough work to bring it out.
Who this course is for:
- If you are a game developer and looking to explore C++ game development, then this is perfect course for you.
- This course offers a fun, example-driven approach to learning game development and C++. In addition to explaining game development techniques in an engaging style, you’ll learn the key C++ topics by building a game in a practical (not theory-based) way, with multiple runnable/playable stages in each section.
Packt are an established, trusted, and innovative global technical learning publisher, founded in Birmingham, UK with over eighteen years experience delivering rich premium content from ground-breaking authors and lecturers on a wide range of emerging and established technologies for professional development.
Packt’s purpose is to help technology professionals advance their knowledge and support the growth of new technologies by publishing vital user focused knowledge-based content faster than any other tech publisher, with a growing library of over 9,000 titles, in book, e-book, audio and video learning formats, our multimedia content is valued as a vital learning tool and offers exceptional support for the development of technology knowledge.
We publish on topics that are at the very cutting edge of technology, helping IT professionals learn about the newest tools and frameworks in a way that suits them.