Learning Packer for Windows Server deployment in AWS & Azure
What you'll learn
- You will be able to write Packer templates and deploy builds to AWS or Azure.
- You learn key Packer concepts.
- You’ll learn how to use provisioners to run powershell, agents and transfer files.
- A laptop with internet connectivity. This course has been produced on Windows 10 so if you’re using another platform there will be some subtle differences.
- An AWS or Azure subscription, this course will work on a free trial.
- Basic familiarity with AWS or Microsoft Azure and scripting.
This course takes you through all aspects of Packer, from initial configuration of your chosen cloud. To building and deploying a Windows Server to either AWS, Azure or both. There are lessons on configuration and deployment using Terraform and using the management console.
NOTE: This course uses HCL1 syntax which has now been deprecated in the latest releases of packer. I am not going to update this, but I still think there's value in the content as you'll see how to use it. Google 'Packer HCL' for more information.
The course has been developed to be multi cloud or builder to be more accurate. As packer can work with multiple builders, the course can be followed using AWS, Azure or Both.
The course is a complete walk through of creating a template and developing this into a fully configured build. It covers using a number of provisioners such as PowerShell, Chef and Puppet to configure your server.
This course has been developed to be as practical as possible, most of the lessons are follow along in nature. Overviews of key areas of Packer are provided for reference.
Please be aware this course only covers Windows Server builds. This only covers HCL version 1
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in learning Packer, specifically to build Windows Images.
- Anyone interested in learning infrastructure as code
I’ve always had a passion for scripting and automation. Educated as software engineer over 20 years ago, I’ve worked in IT infrastructure, Design and Automation since. During this period I have been trained in a lot of technology, from Operating Systems, Programming though to Network Infrastructure.