Introduction To Unity® For Absolute Beginners | 2018 ready ✅
- 4.5 hours on-demand video
- 1 article
- 4 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- What Unity 3D is and how to install the game engine
- How to setup Unity 3D for app development using the required SDKs for mobile devices
- How to navigate around each panel in Unity to feel comfortable and understand the layout
- How to create the fundamental 3D game objects provided by Unity
- A very basic introduction to C# coding to demonstrate how code controls objects
- How to use the unity asset store and download FREE assets
- How to assign an animation to a 3D character
- How to make a Unity graphic user interface that automatically changes size to fit different screens
- How to create a button and use it to trigger an animation
- How to import images and use game objects for 2D level design
- A basic look at how the physics engine affects game objects
- How to create a 3D terrain (Ground / Land in a game)
- How to apply textures to a Unity terrain
- How to increase and decrease the terrain height of a Unity 3D terrain
- How to add trees in unity
- How to add wind and water to the Unity environment
- How to use a first person controller to walk around your created terrain
- How to use a particle system
- How to update Unity software
- How to use mobile controls to make a 3D car move
- How to create an animated intro screen
- How to navigate between scenes clicking an on screen button
- How to create a start game button to load the game
- How to quit out of the application
- Add background music and a button to play a sound effect
- How to export the Unity application to an Apple IOS or Android device
In this video we visit the Unity website, view the different licensing options and install the software.
We jump straight into coding out first script in C# to make a simply cube object rotate automatically.
Visit the Unity app store and download some cool assets.
I show you how to import and edit a terrain in Unity 3D
We add wind, snow and discuss the possible uses for the tools.
- Complete beginners who are willing to learn a new skillset
- You should know how to install software on a PC or Mac
- Some experience of coding is helpful but not required
- Mac or PC capable of running Unity 3D
If you are looking for an introductory course for the Unity 3D game engine then this is the course for you.
To have Unity 3D and a few example applications on your job profile is an enormous advantage for someone looking to work in this field or improve an existing job position internally. Linked In recently listed Unity developer as the 6th most posted job for companies in 2018. I'm Diego Herrera, a Unity and Augmented Reality instructor on Udemy and I've realised that each time I put together a new course, I tend to re-record the installation process and basics videos for each individual new course.
In order to make things easier for all students I wanted to put together this fundamentals course, so the installation process and a solid Unity foundation could be learnt in one place which I hope will be beneficial for people just like you. Unity is an ever evolving piece of software which I try to stay on top of, if something does differ slightly along the way just ask and I'll give you additional instruction.
In order to cater for everyone this course is aimed at absolute beginners and I do not expect any prior knowledge of the Unity 3D game engine or C# programming language. If you are already familiar with Unity / C# and are simply looking to learn a few new things, the later videos in the course are a better place for you to start. For everyone else, let's have a look at what this course covers.
So What Are We Going To Actually Learn About Unity?
The unity course is broken into a few sections, the first being an explanation into what Unity 3D is and how you install it. We look at the different licensing options and I guide you through the installation process including a few new tips on how to set Unity up using local cloud software to save your work and I also cover the new version of Unity where the Vuforia Augmented Reality software is now included. Vuforia is not covered in the course as my other courses go into AR / Mixed Reality in more depth, however, I mention it in the installation process ensuring the package is installed ready for future use.
After installing the software I then look at each individual panel in Unity, what they are for and how they affect the scene.
I look at game objects both 3D and 2D. How to rotate, scale and move objects in the world before we move into our first script to demonstrate how Unity objects are controlled via C# programming script.
I don't go into advanced C# programming I simply demonstrate how basic code interacts with the game objects and give you the foundation to continue learning in your own time from that point.
We then move on into having a little fun, I show you the asset store and how we can get free 3D models and animate them in the software. Progressing through the course onto creating a simply GUI graphic user interface to add a button to the screen and make it work.
I touch on how the Unity physics engine can effect the gravity of game objects and we have a quick look at how 2D games are made with physics to effect the game objects.
The exploration continues by moving into using a Unity 3D terrain, this is effectively the ground you walk or drive on in a game. We look at altering the height of the terrain, adding textures and finally trees and wind.
I then look at using the first person controller to walk around the terrain we have created and see the effects of the wind up close.
We make it snow using a particle system. Later, after a little more fun, I demonstrate how you can export the app to a mobile device for both IOS & Android.
The point of this course isn't to make you an instant master in Unity 3D but to make you feel comfortable using the software, learn the terminology and open your eyes to app development the easy way.
I hope you have lots of fun along the way and if you enjoy my teaching manner feel free to check out my more in depth courses, just type my name into the search bar on the Udemy website,
See you in the course guys, learn lots, fun and easily :)
- People with no knowledge of Unity 3D
- People interested in 3D game development
- People who have tried Unity but felt lost using the software
- People looking to build apps for IOS and Android in 2018
- People looking to add new skills to their portfolio