Learn to Sew Home Decor
- 2 hours on-demand video
- 16 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- For beginner level home sewing, learn to sew a decorative pillow and table topper simply in your own home and at your convenience.
- The first lesson gives you practice with expertly maneuvering your sewing machine to gain confidence with guiding fabric beneath the pressor foot.
- Lesson Two provides practice in threading your sewing machine and filling bobbins. You will accomplish the skills needed to thread your machine quickly without requiring the use of your machine owner's manual every time you sew. You will learn threading your machine as a valuable lifelong skill.
- In Lesson Three, students learn to sew seams and zig-zag seam allowances. You will cut out your pillow pieces to the size needed for your pillow insert and with considerations for your fabric pattern.
- Lesson Four teaches students all details necessary for pillow construction - except the final step of sewing the pillow closure.
- Lesson Five demonstrates the hand stitching necessary for your pillow closure with neatness and a professional finish.
- In Lesson Six, students learn how to measure the table of choice, to cut out the fabric and lining to proper measurements for your table topper, and then sew it all together. You will machine sew the closure, top-stitch around the edges, and then give your topper a final press for a crisp, smooth topper.
- Lesson Seven, demonstrates easily adding decorative fringes to your table topper for a professional look.
- A basic sewing machine. No prior experience necessary.
- A ruler or tape measure.
- Dress-maker scissors and a small to medium size scissor for clipping threads.
- One yard of decorator fabric for your pillow project - more for a large print with the desired motif in the center.
- One and one-half yards of decorator fabric for your table topper.
- One and one-half yards of (54-inch wide) lining fabric.
- A spool of thread to match each project fabric.
- A hand-sewing needle.
- At least two bobbins for your sewing machine.
- A pillow insert of your desired pillow size - or fiberfil for one pillow of your desired size.
- Optional fringe for your table topper to measure twice the length and width of your topper plus 6 inches.
It's all about becoming. . . Becoming friends with your sewing machine while creating beautifully unique designs for your home. Becoming familiar with the simple basics of sewing while adding personalized embellishments for your soft furnishings. Becoming a sewist with ease - you, the sewist who creates and sews the home you and your family love to live in.
- Beginner sewists for home decorating. No previous experience needed.