Learn to Code with Ruby
- 31.5 hours on-demand video
- 2 articles
- 3 coding exercises
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Learn to program in the Ruby programming language
- Master common Ruby objects like Strings, Arrays, Hashes, and more
- Solve popular coding challenges and algorithms with Ruby
- Dive into object-oriented programming including classes and more
- Introduces the Learn to Code with Ruby course
- Explores the history and principles of Ruby
- Dives into the basic ideas in object-oriented design
In this lesson, we discuss how to install the latest version of Ruby in 2020.
- Perform basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division with Ruby
- Explore the syntax behind these arithmetic operations
- Use comments to tell Ruby to ignore specific lines of code
- Comments are created with the hashtag / octothorpe (#) symbol
Explore variables, which serve as names or references to objects in Ruby
Practice assigning values to variables
- Call the .times method on an integer to repeat a certain operation that number of times.
- Introduce the concept of blocks, an attachment to a method call that modifies its functionality
- Introduce the purpose and syntax of a method.
- Transition to Atom Text editor and write our first method.
- Introduce the Ruby Range object for storing an interval or sequence of numbers / characters
- Call the .class, .first, and .last methods on a Range object
- Explain the Array object, a container to store other objects in a sequenced order.
- Create an empty array and call the .class method on it.
- Call the .select method on an array to return an array of elements for which the block condition evaluates to true.
- Call the .split method on a string to separate it by the occurrence of a delimiter and return an array of the results.
- Basic text editing skills
- Basic computer skills (web browsing, app installation, file navigation)
The most comprehensive Ruby course available on Udemy! An in-depth overview of coding with Ruby, a popular programming language renowned for its simplicity and elegance. Whether you've never written a line of code before or are looking to learn a brand new language, this course covers all bases!
Learn to Code with Ruby offers more than 30+ hours of video tutorials, 250+ lectures, and dozens of quizzes and exercises to test your knowledge as you proceed through the course.
- Installation and configuration for both Mac OS and Windows systems
- Common programming concepts (variables, arithmetic, output)
- Objects and methods
- Methods and Conditionals
- Blocks, Procs, and Lambdas
- Dates and times
- File Input and Output
- Regular Expression
- Classes, Modules, and Inheritance
Ruby is a language released by Yukihiro Matsumoto in 1995 that bills itself as "a programmer's best friend". Every aspect of Ruby is designed to make programming easier for the developer. There is no better first language if you're interested in learning how to program.
Ruby also serves as the foundation for Ruby on Rails, a popular web framework that powers over 1.2 million websites worldwide. The course offers an extensive introduction to the base language you'll need to know if you intend to tackle web development in the future.
Check out the sample videos below to get a taste of what the course has to offer!
So if you're ready to commit yourself, if you're eager to expand your knowledge of programming, if you're ready to discover what makes this elegant language so loved by developers, you are ready to Learn to Code with Ruby!
Thanks for checking out the course!
- Beginning programmers who want to start with an easy, human-friendly language
- Intermediate coders who are interested in exploring the Ruby language in greater depth
- Web development folk curious about the foundation of Ruby on Rails