Learn the basics of Norwegian language
What you'll learn
- have the feeling of the rhythm and melody of the Norwegian language
- be able to use general phrases of greeting
- say thank you, you are welcome
- ask about languages someone speaks and ask someone to repeat
- count to hundred in Norwegian
- There are no prerequisites
Do you want to learn Norwegian? Or at least to be able to say some phrases convincingly?
This course gives you the basics for communication. In the course you will find more than an hour of video-material, where special attention is paid to pronunciation through my technique of using body language to demonstrate pronunciation and by using IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) transcription of all words and phrases. Moreover, I will later add some useful text files with additional explanations and hints about the structure of the Norwegian language, and some quizzes so you can check up upon your progress.
Without any previous knowledge of Norwegian you will probably watch the videos several times. How much time it will take to acquire the course will depend on your previous language learning experience, but roughly you might need three-four hours of study to acquire solid basics.
The course has some introductory remarks on Norwegian language and some remarks about how I teach pronunciation in the course. This is followed by a part on greetings and exchange of personal information, then a part on meta-language, e.g. how you ask what something means, and then some useful words like numbers and weekdays.
You should take this course if you want to learn the basics of Norwegian communication properly in a fun way.
Who this course is for:
- This course is for anyone new to Norwegian and who wants to learn it or at least to get the taste of it. It will also be useful for those who already know some Norwegian but who want to train on pronunciation. The course is probably not for you if you already know Norwegian well or if your target is to learn another dialect than the Eastern Norwegian dialect.
Snorre is a language teacher, translator and non-fiction author. During the last 20 years, he has taught Norwegian at three different university institutions as well as several language centres. Moreover, he has conducted seminars and workshops for Scandinavian language teachers in five countries. He has designed and conducted language courses and developed tests and exams for corporate clients within different fields like health care, IT, banking and customer service. He is currently working on a PhD thesis on Norwegian as a second language at University of Bergen.