The Basics of Household Wiring. The Electrical System A to Z
What you'll learn
- Understand how electricity works, how it is generated, transmitted to, and distributed throughout your home.
- Wire a receptacle (regular, switched, GFCI), a single-pole switch (3 and 4-way), a light fixture, and more!
- Have the knowledge and skills to safely and competently complete most home electrical projects and repairs.
- No materials or special software required.
- A desire to learn, and a healthy respect for, and an interest in electricity.
- Basic math skills and some mechanical inclination would be an asset.
After completing this course, students will have a solid knowledge of the fundamentals of electricity and how it functions within the home, including how electricity is generated, transmitted to, transformed, and how it enters the home through the power meter, the main breaker, and the branch circuit breaker panel.
From there we cover in detail all types of receptacles, switches, and light fixtures, and how to correctly wire them. Safe practices are covered in detail, including the use of circuit testers. The course includes an in-depth look at rough-in wiring, and explains the role, use and importance of ground fault circuit and arc fault circuit protection.
At the end of the course the student will know how to take on most small electrical projects and repairs around the home, both safely and competently.
Who this course is for:
- Homeowners with an interest in learning how to complete small electrical projects and repairs throughout the home.
- Anyone that may be looking towards a career as an electrician would also benefit from this knowledge base.
- Anyone with a general interest in, or curiosity of how electricity works, and how it is put in use in the home.
I am Terry Peterman, the Internet Electrician. I am a Journeyman Electrician with more than 35 years experience in all aspects of the Electrical Industry. I founded a DIY home wiring website back in 1997, in the pioneer years of the Internet.
The website is designed to share my knowledge and experience with the home handy-person, do-it-yourself (DIY) type in performing small and medium sized home electrical repairs, renovations, or additions to existing home electrical systems both safely, and competently.
We have a popular channel of YouTube, currently with over 12.4 million views, 66.8K subscribers, and we are active on most social media sites.
On the personal side, I am happily married to Sandy Peterman and we have an adult son Lyle, a Realtor in Calgary Alberta. We live on Vancouver Island in Canada in the summer, and have a small development project we are working on in Costa Rica building vacation home (s) off the Pacific coast in beach town called Junquillal.