Learn Step-by-Step How to Build a Smart Home System
- 9 hours on-demand video
- 12 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Explain Home Automation 2.0 (HA 2.0) and understand its benefits.
- List the different types of HA 2.0 applications that you can implement.
- Describe briefly the steps that are required to build an end-to-end HA 2.0 system.
- Plan your HA 2.0 System Requirements.
- Understand the main HA 2.0 Technology Platforms.
- Discover how to install a structured wiring system.
- Explain Z-Wave and how it operates from a technical perspective.
- Install various types of home automation modules
- Use HA 2.0 to improve your home security & family safety levels.
- Describe how a HA 2.0 alarm system works.
- Explain the different types of HA alarm types.
- Install a HA 2.0 Smoke Alarm System.
- Interface an IP video surveillance camera with a HA 2.0 system.
- Describe HA 2.0 access control and Door locking systems.
- Install flood and freeze detection sensors in your home.
- Describe some real life usage of HA 2.0 security solutions.
- Plan and install your HA 2.0 Alarm and IP video surveillance system.
- List the main benefits of implementing a control system for your lights.
- How to build a wired based whole house lighting control system.
- Explain the differences between wired and wireless lighting control systems.
- Describe examples of how lighting control is used by our own family.
- Plan out your own wireless or wired lighting control system and establish a budget.
- Use a HA 2.0 system to save money on your electricity bills.
- Describe the various types of energy saving devices.
- Describe the different types of smart thermostats available for your home.
- Plan the installation of a number of energy saving devices in your own home.
- Explain multi-room music (MRM) 2.0 systems.
- Describe the various types of MRM 2.0 Systems.
- Install a Wireless MRM 2.0 system.
- Install outdoor speakers and add music to your back or front garden.
- Analyse and plan your MRM 2.0 System.
- Describe the various approaches associated with distributing HDTV content to multiple rooms.
- Build a Cat5e or 6 based HDTV distribution system.
- Understand the benefits of using a technology called HDBase-T.
- Describe powerline and wireless HDTV distribution systems.
- Identify your requirements and budget for your own HDTV distribution system.
- List the bits and pieces you need to transform one of your rooms into a family home cinema area.
- Setup an iPhone, iPad or Android Smartphone as a universal remote to control all of your in-home AV equipment.
- None really, some Dollars, Sterling or indeed Euro to implement some of my many guidelines :-)
This Step-by-Step Home Automation DIY video program shows you everything from A to Z on how to create your Home Automation system, which will reduce energy Consumption, create a comfortable family living environment & protect your home against Intruders.
So what will you learn in this Home Automation DIY program?
Here’s what you’ll learn in our Home Automation video training course:
- Understand why HA 1.0 Failed!
- Describe the term HA 2.0 & Associated Market Drivers
- List the benefits and Applications of HA 2.0
- Describe the different types of HA 2.0 smart controllers
- Explain Essential and ‘Nice to Have’ home automation functions
- Understand the benefits of structured wiring systems.
- Design a wiring plan for your own home or extension.
- Understand the benefits of wireless home control systems.
- Explain Z-Wave.
- Describe Z-Wave network architecture.
- Plan the install of a Z-Wave network.
- Describe the elements of a home automation alarm system.
- Plan & install a HA 2.0 alarm and fire detection system.
- Plan and install outdoor and IP cameras.
- Interface new IP camera’s with your HA 2.0 controller.
- Build a HA 2.0 access control system for your home.
- Describe the benefits of a lighting control system.
- Plan & install a wired lighting control system
- Plan & install a wireless lighting control system
- Choose between wired or wireless systems to suit your requirements!
- Use your HA 2.0 system to monitor the energy you use every month.
- Install various energy saving devices that will help to decrease your monthly lighting electricity bill.
- Install smart thermostats and interface with your HA 2.0 controller.
- Configure your HA 2.0 system to monitor your home's electricity usage in real time!
- Describe the benefits of MRM Systems
- Plan & install wired Basic MRM and advanced MRM 2.0 systems
- Plan & install a Sonos MRM 2.0 system
- Plan & install an Airplay MRM 2.0 system
- Connect outdoor weatherproof speakers to your MRM 2.0 system
- Describe the different types of HDMI equipment.
- Build a Cat5e or 6 based HDTV distribution system.
- Describe HDBase-T Technologies.
- Plan and install a wireless HDTV distribution system.
- Describe the benefits and downside of Powerline HDTV distribution systems.
- Add Home Cinema Functionality for your HA System.
- Describe the elements of a home cinema system.
- Plan and install a WI-Fi to IR system.
- Control your home cinema equipment using an iPad, iPhone, Windows or Android devices.
What People are Saying about the Challenge
“Gerard was really helpful and provided encouragement over the 8 week period. The exercises at the end of each video module helped me to take action every week. Gerard was really helpful and provided encouragement over the 8 week period.”
Bogdan Dragoi, Romania
“When I started the 8 week challenge last March, I knew very little about where to start and how to go about using my iPhone to view IP camera’s, remotely changing temperature levels and playing music in ever room of our home. After the 8 weeks with Gerard, I added all of these systems to my smartphone and lots more. Highly recommended!”
Stella Stopfer, Croatia
“For me the biggest benefit of the challenge is that it pulls together many disparate threads of information about home technologies into one cohesive program.”
John Cahill, Kilkenny, Ireland
Here’s what you’ll get?
In this action video course I take you step-by-step through the whole process of building your own Home Automation 2.0 system. During this 8-week course, you will get the access to the following 40 video modules:
- This course is right for you if you say YES to any of the following:
- Do you want to use an iPhone, iPad or Android App to remotely view your home via an IP camera, arm your alarm, adjust your lights and thermostats while away from home?
- Would you like to be re-assured that your home and family are safe and protected — whether you’re there or not?
- How about enhancing 'Peace of Mind' in knowing that your belongings are protected?
- Don’t have 10,000 hours to research the global home automation and control industry?
- Interested in receiving text and email alerts on your Smartphone once an intruder enters your home or smoke is detected?
- Don’t want to spend thousands of Euro or dollars on a smart home system that does not work?
- Save up to 10% on your energy bills!
- Do you feel that home automation sounds like a cool idea; but the cycle of installing sounds expensive and complicated?
For houses that are already built with NO Cables, then you will need to run with easy-to-install wireless lighting control products. This video explains how to retrofit your light switches and plugs. In other words you are adding wireless HA 2.0 modules to your home. Currently doing some extra work in this area in one of my rental properties, so may come back with an update to this video in the coming weeks....stay tuned..
Outdoor entertainment is increasing in popularity. In this video, I explain to you how to fill your back garden with some rock n'roll. Nice thing to do, if you have sunshine - we have limited amounts in Rainy Ireland, but we are delighted with our rock speakers out the back.