Learn Soul Rhythm Guitar
What you'll learn
- Develop your confidence and abilities as a rhythm guitarist for all genres!
- Learn the essential techniques used by Soul guitar Legends like Steve Cropper, Cornell Dupree and more
- Expand your knowledge of chords and rhythm to become a more rounded player
- Learn how the Soul Masters created their iconic parts and become a more creative guitarist yourself
- Discover how to play all those cool riffs, licks and fills as used by Soul guitarists
- Get ready for the with authentic sounding full band backing tracks to put it all into practise!
- Late Beginner/Early Intermediate ability: 12 months + playing experience with a good knowledge of open chords, barre chords and strumming
- A basic knowledge of simple Pentatonic scales and the Major scale
- This course is designed for electric guitarists
Join award winning guitarist and Amazon best-selling author of 'The Soul Rhythm Guitar Book', Stuart Ryan, on a journey through the world of Soul Rhythm Guitar. This course will give you the tools you need to improve as a Soul guitarist and Rhythm player in ANY genre. Start off by building your chord knowledge with simple triads and dominant chords all over the fretboard. Next, you'll discover how to create those classic sounding Soul guitar riffs, licks and fills that define the genre and just sound so cool! You'll learn how to play like Soul Guitar masters Steve Cropper, Cornell Dupree, Jimmy Nolen and many more and you'll explore the most important sounds in Soul - from the funk of James Brown to the swinging Atlantic Records Soul of Aretha Franklin and Booker T and The MGs cool, laid back Memphis Soul sound. Everything you learn is put into context with full band backing tracks and all lesson content is included as tab/notation pdfs to help you learn at your own pace. Over three hours of tuition and 86 pdf lessons!
COURSE REQUIREMENTS - To get the best out of this course we recommend a minimum of 12 months' playing experience and familiarity with barre chords, open chords, strumming and basic pentatonic and Major scales.
Who this course is for:
- The magical sound of Soul rhythm guitar has inspired players from all genres for decades. If you are struggling to find the right rhythm part, play in time or stay out of the way of the other instruments in the band then the tools of Soul Rhythm guitar will help you. This course is designed to make you a more confident, creative and effective rhythm player - you'll discover how to think about essential elements like register (where to play your parts), how to play through the most common chord progressions in Soul, Pop, Blues and Rock with a creative approach, how to play 'in between the chords' with authentic licks, riffs and fills and how to actually THINK about rhythm itself without just 'going for it' and hoping for the best! ABOUT YOU - you have developed the basic skills to get you playing some repertoire but now you are thinking about how to expand your abilities as a rhythm player and accompanist. You have learned open chords and barre chords but are stuck in the rut, always playing the same things and panicking when you have to come up with creative, suitable rhythm parts. You are looking to add some colour to your rhythm playing and may have explored Major and minor seventh chords but are unsure of what to do with them. You know that your timing needs work but you aren't sure how to work on this in an effective and enjoyable manner (just playing along to a metronome may have become stale!). If you are curious about how the Soul masters created all those cool sounding parts then this is the course for you - you don't need to know how Soul guitar works as this course will show you everything you need to know! ABOUT YOUR INSTRUCTOR - Award winning guitarist Stuart Ryan has decades of experience helping guitarists achieve their goals. An experienced studio musician and guitarist his compositions have featured on TV shows across the world and his original pieces are studied by guitarists globally in the London College of Music and Rockschool exam syllabuses. A best selling author on Amazon, he has written 9 guitar books on a variety of subjects from 'The Soul Rhythm Guitar Book' to 'The Americana Guitar Book' and more. He is a monthly columnist for Guitar Techniques magazine helping thousands of players reach their goals and overcome their playing obstacles.
Award winning guitarist Stuart Ryan is regarded as one of the UK’s finest fingerstyle players. His solo guitar compositions are regularly used by the BBC and other tv networks around the world and his touring schedule has taken him to concert halls and guitar festivals throughout Europe.
A passionate guitar educator, he has written over 500 columns on acoustic guitar styles for many of the world’s leading guitar magazines including Guitar Techniques, Guitarist and Akustik Gitarre. Students worldwide study his pieces in the Rockschool and London College of Music Guitar exam syllabuses and he has published two solo albums and three books on Fingerstyle and acoustic playing - “The Tradition”, “The Heritage” and “Acoustic Legends”.
In addition to composing and recording he tours as a clinician for Takamine Guitars and has shared the stage with modern guitar greats Jon Gomm, Thomas Leeb, Martin Taylor MBE and many others. In this course Stuart will share his Fingerstyle knowledge gained from over thirty years of playing the guitar!