Learn Social Psychology Fundamentals
- A willingness to learn and apply research in psychology to your own everyday life.
Finally I'm offering another free psychology course! My other free course, 5 Amazing Psychology Experiments, has more than 2000 students and 50 positive reviews.
For ages, psychologists have wondered about the origins of thought and the structure of the mind. Using solid scientific methods and statistical analysis, we've started to get some answers.
This course serves as a quick introduction to the fundamentals of social psychology. In this introductory course, you'll learn about three major areas of psychology:
1. Accessibility and Priming: How is the mind organized and how can our brains trick us into perceiving the world in biased ways? We cover the notion of a schema and look at several studies on the power of priming.
2. Heuristics and Biases: What are the shortcuts that are brain takes? Whenever we make a decision or form a judgment, we like to think we're being careful and rational, but our minds want quick answers. Sometimes, these shortcuts can lead us astray.
3. Attribution: When we see other people, we often wonder why they do the things they do. Are they responsible for their choices or do we think that they're subject to environmental pressures? Attribution theories try to make sense of it.
In this series of lectures, you'll learn from a trained social psychologist and come to understand the essentials of social psychology. With quiz questions that reinforce your learning and examples that connect the research to your own life, this course is designed to help you quickly master this information. So enroll now and start learning about this fascinating field of social psychology!
**Please note that this is one part of the full introduction to social psychology course (Be a People Expert with Social Psychology) on Udemy. If you want to learn about psychology, and you're not ready to take the plunge for the full social psychology course, this is a great place to start!
- Salespeople, teachers, customer service representatives...if you work with people, an understanding of psychology is essential.
- If you are currently taking a class in social psychology, this course could help you do better by providing a secondary instructor with an engaging teaching style.
- Anyone who is interested in people and power of social situations should take this course to better understand their social world.
- Defining Social Psychology
- VIDEO: Schemas & Self-Fulfilling Prophecy
- Accessibility & Priming 01 - What is it?
- Accessibility & Priming 02 - Classic Studies
- VIDEO: Can Priming Be Subliminal?
- Schemas & Accessibility QUIZ
- Introduction to Heuristics
- Heuristic #1: The Availability Heuristic
- VIDEO: Example of the Availability Heuristic
- Heuristic #2: The Representativeness Heuristic
- VIDEO: Example of the Representativeness Heuristic
- Heuristic #3: The Anchoring Heuristic
- Heuristics & Biases QUIZ
- Attribution, Part I
- VIDEO: Example of the Fundamental Attribution Error
- Attribution, Part II
- Attribution QUIZ
- Conclusion and Farewell
- Bonus: More Psychology from Andrew Luttrell
- Course Completion Certificate
I'm a professor of social psychology and host of the Opinion Science podcast. My expertise is in the domain of attitudes and persuasion, but I have extensive experience with all corners of the social psychology world. The research in this field is so interesting that I can't help but want to share it! I look forward to the chance to share the world of social psychology with you.