Learn GIS with ArcGIS Pro
What you'll learn
- Start a new project in ArcGIS Pro
- Add, calculate, and visualize data in ArcGIS Pro
- Create feature classes, layers, and layouts in ArcGIS Pro
- Analyze spatial patterns with a variety of methods in ArcGIS Pro
- Use a variety of datasets and methods in ArcGIS Pro
- You don't need prior experience with GIS. You will learn everything you need.
- You will need a laptop or PC (or a Mac with a Windows operating system) that meets ArcGIS Pro system requirements.
- You will need a license to use ArcGIS Pro with a spatial analyst extension. You can get a free trial version, you can buy a license, or you may have access to a license through your organization.
I developed this course so you can gain the skills to work with ArcGIS Pro, which is the leading worldwide Geographic Information System (GIS) software program. Applications of GIS have become extremely relevant throughout the past decades in numerous fields, so gaining expertise in that field is a very clever move in terms of your professional career.
This course will enable you to learn that as quickly and effectively as possible in a practice-oriented, hands-on approach so that you can work on your projects in a short time. For that purpose, I will not elaborate much on theories, and I will not waste your time with beating-around-the-bush, making long-winded and off-track attempts or explanations, but I will show you straight to the point on how to get things done. I will give brief explanations on the background of the methods we will be using, but you can always refer to the detailed explanations that you get on ESRI’s website.
The software is rather complex, but I will guide you step by step to put it to use. To become a proficient user, you will need to use and apply it rather than just seeing me demonstrate its capabilities. Therefore, I encourage you throughout the course to apply the software as I demonstrate it and then apply your newly acquired skills to the exercises. If you do this consistently, you will quickly get used to it, and you will soon be able to explore it beyond the scope of this course and find ways to analyze and present data for your projects.
The course will start at the beginners' level, assuming that you have no prior experience with ArcGIS Pro or GIS software in general. Building on that, we will move on to levels allowing you to apply more sophisticated methods to your projects.
I hope that you will enjoy the learning experience and that the course will make a positive difference for you as you expand your qualification and put the methods to use to find solutions to the questions and problems you are tackling.
Section 1: The Basics
Introduction to the course
Download the free trial version and access the resources for this course
Start a new project
Prepare your data, add data to your project, organize your geodatabase, and create your first map.
Section 2: Start Working with Your Data
Select data and create new layers
Create new feature classes
Add more information to your map
Create a layout
Section 3: Analyze Spatial Patterns
Change the map projection
Create Heat Maps and Density Maps
Calculate densities in specific areas
Use buffers to analyze features in the area around specific places
Median Center and Directional Distribution
High-Low Clustering Report
Cluster and Outlier Analysis (Anselin Local Moran's I)
Spatial Interpolation 1
Spatial Interpolation 2
Section 4: Work with Other Common Datasets and Methods
19. Work with Census Data from Esri’s Living Atlas
20. Work with Digital Elevation Maps
Who this course is for:
- This course is for anybody who wants to learn the worldwide leading GIS software application as quickly and effectively as possible.
I am a Professor of Geography and Environmental Sciences, and I have taught a variety of courses at the university level for several decades. I am particularly interested in applying quantitative methods to analyze temporal and spatial variabilities in atmospheric data. I love teaching in a classroom and in an online environment. One of my greatest rewards is seeing that I was able to help students accomplish their goals and pursue successful careers in areas that they are passionate about.