Dynamic Figure Drawing
What you'll learn
- In this course you will learn to develop your own unique way of drawing through drawing the figure
- You will learn how to draw dynamic and expressive figures
- You will learn how to do gesture drawing for figure drawing
- You'll learn the skill of being able to see as an artist and apply that to your figure drawing
- You'll also learn how to draw the proportions of the human body with detail
- You'll learn to make beautiful drawings and how to draw anything you see to express yourself
- There are no course requirements! just pencil and paper
- Even complete beginners can take this course and learn how to draw from the ground up, to express themselves through drawing
- If you are experienced in Figure Drawing, but feel stuck in your practice, this course will propel you to a higher level in your drawing
If you’ve always wanted to learn how to draw dynamic and expressive figure drawing, or if you would like to push your drawing skills to a higher level through drawing the figure, this course is for you.
This course is also for complete beginners who have never drawn the figure before, because you will learn a set of foundational techniques that beginners and seasoned artists can use to dramatically improve your drawing.
In this class you will learn what I believe are the 3 most important aspects of figure drawing:
how to make marks that your own unique expression,
how to observe, or see, correctly;
and how to identify anatomy on the model to draw what you see with more precision and detail.
You’ll start out learning ways to unlock your own signature for drawing: your marks on paper - we’ll explore this through gesture drawing, using short 1 minute and 2 minute poses to create fluid, dynamic and powerful studies. I’ll explain exactly what gesture drawing is and what it isn’t, I’ll give you a set of exercises to develop the technique of gesture drawing, and you’ll also learn the real reason behind these ultra short poses like 30 seconds or 1 minute, and the real reason has nothing to do with making a fast sketch!
From there, you shift gears and discover the other side of the coin to gesture - a slowed down and considered contour line. This is a crucial skill that will help you to develop your observation. The way you look at anything when you draw is the key to being able to draw. And contour drawing is the most powerful and most direct way to unlock this.
You’ll learn all about blind contour, outer contours and edges, and cross contours.
After developing correct observation, and developing a way of expressing what you see, you will then learn how to apply a solid knowledge of the underlying structure. You’ll learn all about anatomy for artists, and how to identify and understand the structure that you’re drawing.
Then I’ll show you how to bring together everything in a cohesive and unified way of drawing - a Natural Way of drawing, a way of drawing based on your marks and your observation., supported by your understanding of the forms.
This last section completes a drawing skillset that i believe is powerful and will never let you down. With this, you’ll be able to draw anything.
I’ve been drawing the figure for close to 20 years now. The way I express my self though drawing is I believe who I really am as a person. Thats what it’s like, the power of discovering your own voice as an artist. Figure drawing for me is not just about proportions and anatomy it’s also deeply about creativity and expression.
I would love to share this with you and help you to discover your artistic voice through figure drawing, because not only is figure drawing a beautiful art in itself it’s also probably the most foundational art practice you can do.
So, join me in the class and start improving your drawing and your creativity today!
Who this course is for:
- This course is for you if you have always wanted to start figure drawing, but don't think you can draw
- This course is for you if you have been doing figure drawing for years, but feel stuck in your practice and don't know how to go further
- If you would like to learn how to find your own creative voice and develop that through drawing, this course is for you!
My background spans the disciplines of drawing, painting, filmmaking and animation. I studied Film in Dublin, and at the Tisch School of the Arts, NYU in New York. I later studied drawing and animation. Since 2005, I have worked in studios in Vancouver and Dublin as a professional Background Designer and Environment Artist. I've also worked as a storyboard artist, concept artist, and I have directed a number of short animated films.
All in all, I've worked for over 15 years as an Artist, Illustrator and Animation Professional. I've provided artwork for studios whose clients include Disney UK, Sony Pictures Animation, HMH Publishing, to name a few.
I also have an ongoing painting and drawing practice, and I paint portraits on commission, and exhibit my work in galleries. My passion is to teach others the whole spectrum of art skills that I've learned and developed over the course of my career.