Learn Construct 2: Creating a top-down shooter in HTML5!
- 1.5 hours on-demand video
- 6 articles
- 2 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Implement simple solutions to advanced topics such as Enemy AI and Player Shooting
- Learn how to create and separate event sheets for organized and efficient code.
- Learn the basic principles of game feel and how to make our game not be dull
- Learn the basic principles of game feel and how to make our game not feel dull.
- Be comfortable splitting up our game into manageable chunks and adding minor details as you progress.
- Learn how to use the shadowcasting abilities to make our levels have more depth.
- Create enemy AI that are not overly complicated but complex enough to beat you before you have a chance!
- Create a dynamic camera using C2's built in Scroll To and lerp function
- Know how to make functions accept parameters for things like bullet accuracy and screenshake!
- Push the free edition of C2 to it's limits however leaving a lot of room to tidy up with the personal edition!
- Experience very frequent UPDATES to lectures and course downloads!
- Learn intuitive ways of programming without actually having to type out code. C2 makes it the perfect balance for those who think logically.
In this lecture we begin with an introduction of what we will be creating. We are making a birds eye view, top-down shooter in Construct 2. Construct 2 is an extremely efficient way of getting started with programming and making games.
In this lecture we walk through the basics of setting up our custom layout in Construct 2. We create a different layout than you are used to but nothing to out of the ordinary.
In this lecture we start programming our player. Our player is obviously the most important game object and therefore we are going to have to spend extra time to make him just right.
In this lecture we create our gun and set it up for programming! We have a lot of global variables to add so make sure you pay attention!
In this lecture we talk about configurable bullet types and we draw and spawn a muzzle flash to add some pop to our gun when it shoots!
In this lecture we add a function with parameters. Once we do this we can add bullet accuracy for any bullet type we like!
We are going to be adding walls for our player to bounce off of! This lecture marks the first step in setting up our level and making a game with our player!
Whoa. Enemy AI. HERE WE GO! In this lecture we start setting up our behaviors for our enemies. Get excited - it isn't as intimidating as you might think!
In our FINAL lecture of our main course we tidy up our game and add our enemy random spawning. Once we do this our game becomes infintely harder and finally at a playable state. This lecture starts the wheel over again and now going further you will have the skills to create your very own top-down shooter.
- At least Construct Free Edition
- No programming knowledge required although some previous experience is helpful
How to make an "top-down shooter" in Construct 2!
What is the course about?
This course is about creating an intense top-down shooter game. By using Construct 2 and it's extremely fast ability to get a thought out of your head and into code, we are going to be diving right into creating our game. This course is about understanding how we can take a very advanced topic and make it simple all thanks to Construct 2.
What material is included?
In the beginning of the course you have access to all of the assets used (art, animations, SFX) so you can make the same game along with me. In the download you will find the .capx we create at the end of the lecture!
What does this course include?
- Simulated controls
- Configurable shooting
- Bullet accuracy
- Dynamic Camera
- Camera Screenshake
- Enemy AI using Line of Sight
- Enemy tracking
- Functions and parameters
- Muzzle Flash
- Player health and death
- End game
- Random enemy spawning
- Instance variables
- Bullet shells
- Pushing the limits of Construct Free but great for C2 Personal
- All assets are free to use for commercial use.
The course is always being updated as is the game engine we are making!
Why take this course?
The lectures are quick and easy to understand. If you follow along with the provided assets you will easily find yourself able to create any kind of game once the course is over. I personally think that as soon as you finish the course you are going to want to add so much more to your own game that you are going to have no choice!
Is this course right for me?
If you have never programmed before this course is perfect for you. If you have programmed before this course is ALSO perfect for you. Whether you are just starting out or an advanced user you will find some of this information helpful.
How is this course structured?
I have structured this course in a way where we add the important things first and create the gameplay second. By creating and fine tuning the mechanics as we go we are able to understand everything Construct 2 has to offer and create an awesome game on the way!
I hope to see you in the discussion!
- This course is for the person who just wants to HONE THEIR CRAFT and make a video game.
- If you don't like diving right into the content and want a course that explains every little iota, this course is not for you.
- Those who have always wanted to make a game like this but thought it was too complicated will love this course!