Learn any Language with the Best Online Tools
What you'll learn
- By the end of the course, you'll have the tools, resources, and methods you need to take your foreign language to the next level. And you don't even need a teacher to do it!
- In this course, you'll come across some crazy cool ideas to boost your comprehension, speaking, reading and writing skills in a foreign language.
- I make a lot of recommendations for software, websites, and mobile apps (most of which are free). None are required to complete the course, but they will enhance your ability to learn outside the classroom.
- You don't need to know a foreign language as a prerequisite
What is the course about?
This course is about finding the right method for you to boost your language study. Every learner is different, and every learner needs something different to succeed. This course will help you learn methods, and find resources that fit your learning style, and will help bring you closer to real fluency.
How long will the course take to complete?
This course isn't like like a school class, with a beginning, middle and an end. Treat this course like a buffet, picking and choosing ideas as you please, and implementing them into your language study.
How is the course structured?
This course will be structured around the main areas of language acquisition. Each area will include multiple ideas about how to boost that area of interest:
- Other (grammar, vocabulary, translation etc.)
Why take this course?
Learning languages is fun, but it's also really challenging. Studying from textbooks and from a teacher are NOT the only ways to learn, and there are a lot more fun, innovative, and more effective methods available outside of the classroom.
If you feel something missing in your language education, this course could be for you!
Through this course, you'll learn to take control of your language learning, have more fun, and feel great about learning a foreign language!
Who this course is for:
- You'll benefit most from this course if you think languages are fun, but feel that language classes are lame, and are looking for something better
- This course is intended for anyone interested in learning languages outside of the classroom
My name is Joe, I’m from California and I love languages!
Growing up in California, I spent a lot of time “learning” Spanish. Really, it was mostly spent trying to understand what in the world “subjunctive” really is. Is that even an English word? Why can’t something just be “perfect”? Who decided to make it “imperfect”? What the freak is a “preterite”?
From 2005-2007 I lived in Mongolia. Crazy right?! I learned Mongolian, which sounds like a fight breaking out between a drunken Russian and an angry German. While there, I had a lot of fun making friends and experiencing their unique culture. I spent a ton of time immersed in the language and it really paid off. While there, I also dabbled in Kazakh, Turkish, and Mongolian Sign Language, just for fun.
In 2008 I started learning Mandarin Chinese, which is way different from Mongolian and a great challenge that continues until today.
Also in 2008, I met the woman of my dreams, and got married two years later. Her native language is French. I need to impress her family, so I started learning French. I’ve never “studied” French a day in my life, but hearing her speak at home has given me an almost completely native environment to grow with. Oh, and she also has a ton of Italian relatives, so Italian is on the menu as well.
I’ve taught English for 5 years all across the world and I’ve learned that it doesn’t matter which language you’re learning, everyone needs help.