Understanding APIs and RESTful APIs Crash Course
- 43 mins on-demand video
- 4 articles
- 1 downloadable resource
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- What APIs are
- How APIs work
- What a RESTful API is
- What JSON is
- How computers talk to each other
- CRUD Operations
- The 5 main request methods (GET, POST, PUT/PATCH, DELETE)
- HTTP status codes
- How to understand APIs as if they were real people
- HTTP Requests and Responses
Welcome to Understanding APIs and RESTful APIs. This course is NOT about coding, so if you're trying to implement an API on your website, this course is not for you.
This course is for you if you are trying to understand how APIs and RESTful APIs work.
API = Application Programming Interface. It's not visual though, so it's kind of a misleading name. Let's learn more about this.
Technology comes with a lot of crazy terminology. Honestly, use computer geeks use big words to make ourselves feel smarter — but underneath all the crazy buzzwords is a very simple analogy that you can relate to as a human. You don't need to be a coder to get this one, I promise :)
Let's take a look at a real life example of a service that uses LOTS of APIs to make their website run.
Are APIs restricted by programming language? Watch to find out!
GET requests = you are GETting data from a server. No create, update, or delete operations. You simply want to see the data.
- You should probably be an intermediate developer by now OR be a junior developer who's trying to level up their skills
- OR You should be interested in learning more about communication between computers (you don't need to be a coder if you fit into this category)
In this course you will learn about APIs and RESTful APIs, and how they work. There is no coding in this course.
By the end of this course you will completely understand how APIs work, and how computers talk to each other. You'll also be familiar with RESTful APIs which make use of the HTTP protocol. If that sounded confusing, scary, or overly technical — it's not — it's just a fancy way of saying "it uses the internet".
The goal of this course is to help you understand APIs and RESTful APIs without needing to write any code. So next time someone says "API" you will know exactly what they are talking about (and you'll also know it's not really that technical or fancy, but that'll be our secret ;)
This course is designed to remove the sense of overwhelm and "scariness" when we start to talk about APIs. APIs and RESTful APIs come across as difficult or advanced subjects, but really it's just two computers talking to each other and exchanging commands and data. No different than when your friend sends you a text message, and you text back.
I'll give you several easy to remember metaphors so APIs don't feel scary or overwhelming, too.
All the slides will be provided for you, as well as reference material for when you've graduated this course and you're ready to take on the world of APIs.
This course is only 45 minutes, but I promise you that's all the time you'll need — not because I'm a good teacher, but because APIs are seriously that simple once someone takes the time to explain them.
- Intermediate Web Developers OR Eager Junior Web Developers
- Non-coders who want to learn about inter-computer communications
- This course is NOT for junior developers who are brand new to coding (not yet, anyway!)
- This course is NOT for senior developers who already have knowledge about APIs and how they work